Laptop, COM Ports, Putty?

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

With my job I have to periodically connect to other systems such as Sun. When my company ordered our laptops, they did not order this batch with serial ports; I guess they too are being phased out. We have been using a USB to Serial adapter to be able to console into the devices, but one of the biggest pains is that the COM port is always changing.

This really becomes a pain because in either putty or hyperterm, I have to manually select which COM port the device is using, which means (to my knowledge) digging into device manager and finding out that way.

1) Is there an easier way to find what COM port is associated to a specific device, other than digging around in device manager?
2) Is there a way to permanently assign a specific device to that COM port?
3) Is there a way to get Hyperterm or Putty to scan for an active connection on the COM, rather than having to manually select which COM port it decides to use today?

I think that's it. Now I'm off to find more tips and tricks regarding Putty.

Hey Michael, I've been alternating between two ports on my laptop. It may or may not have gone in the same one, however I've gotten at least 4 different COM ports while attempting to use this thing. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back