Lancer New System Build

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
Ok so i delayed my upgrade for a while, but now i really want to get the ball rolling, which in your esteemed opinion is the best CPU for gaming for the princely sum of $300? could be a little more is needed.

I do sometimes multitask, but mostly if i am playing say EQ2, i may also have winamp or ms media behind playing music as well.

So think i'm looking mostly at raw CPU speed as opposed to spreading the wealth so to speak.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Re: Best CPU for $300ish

What do you currently run?

If $300 is your budget, I suggest you go with this chip:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562

You can get the 4200 model for about $357, give or take, here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103547

Bottom line is that AMD makes the best chips on the market atm, and those two would give you the best performance. It would also give you a 64-bit, dual core processor which is obviously sufficient for Vista, and would give you the option to run XP64 now if you so desire. I suppose that depends on if you are going to be using your current mobo, as it may be an Intel board.

Best bang for your buck, IMO.

nope i am also going to be using a new mobo, basically a how new system.

Well then I suggest you go AMD, with one of the processors I listed above.

AMD is releasing the AM2 soon, however I'm not sure of the price differentials on their motherboards and new CPU's, as I haven't seen them yet.

I had the 3800 in mind, but again its dual core so not as fast as a comparatively same prices amd cpu, also the 4200 in tests is barely faster than the 3800.

Sazaar i have a 2.6ghz p4 right now. I'm getting an Asus mobo, cant remember the name but it runs about $87 on newegg. (well i will if i know which cpu i'll be getting anyway).

Get a dual-core if you can afford it.

It's a better overall performer in day-to-day apps. The benchmarks don't give a full and accurate description of its capabilities.

Sazar said:
Get a dual-core if you can afford it.

It's a better overall performer in day-to-day apps. The benchmarks don't give a full and accurate description of its capabilities.
And on top of that, it's performance muscle will only get more noticeable as more apps are written to utilize the full potential of dual core processors :)

As Saz said, definitely worth the money if you can swing it.

Even if its going into a more gaming centric machine?

So am i right or wrong in my assertions between the 3800 and the 4200, or would there really be a noticable difference.

It's your call, I don't personally think there is a huge performance gain with the 3800 vs the 4200. I would save the extra money and perhaps put that towards a faster hard drive, or faster and/or more RAM, which is where you would get the bigger difference in performance.

AMD processors are perfect for gaming, no worries there either.

Ok after some advice i'm staying with what i had originally, but thanks for the advice guys, any other words of wisdom are appreciated.

Mobo:
ASUS A8N-E Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail $89.99

CPU:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core $297.99

V/card:
eVGA 256-P2-N564 Geforce 7900GT KO 256MB GDDR3 $289.99

Total comes to $677.97

I already have the Hard drives, memory and case.

Although i want to get a new dvd drive, any suggestions and any suggestions on the build?

From what I've see, the Single core processors perform better for games than a dual core. But if you want a longer lifespan on your computer, a dual core is the way to go. You could go with the refurb models of your motherboard.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131530R
Saves you about $20
Or you could go up the line in refurbs and get the A8N SLi Deluxe for about $8 cheaper, or spend $2 more and get the A8N SLi Premium.

Just in case you want to expand to SLi in the future. Plus, I've never had a problem buying any Refurbs from Newegg.

i don't think i'll ever go dual gpu, its kinda stupid unless you have money to burn. Because in a lot of cases its been shown that you may only get upto 30-40% increase in performance.

KC seems like a good deal, will do.

[posts merged - kcnychief]

Last edited by a moderator:
just decent, is that all you can say :) haha

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back