lan "network cable unplugged"

dapperdan

OSNN Junior Addict
ok i have a compaq armada and just bought an nic card which the computer recognized.but in network connections i gives above message.now i have a dsl like going out of the router into the card.why wont this work tto get me online?when i plug the dsl line into the mac it goes online right away.the cable is fine.there are many hidden devices under network adaptors.should i uninstall these?i dont have an xp boot disc and im technically challenged.

any help guys im desperate

dan

Hi Dapperdan,

Look into the area where the CAT5 plug goes in the nic card, you will probably see that the pins are not aligned in there. Take a paper clip and straighten them until they "pop" into place.

Welcome to OSNN, by the way,

Heeter

how about posting a sreen shot, so we can see what was installed for the nic itself.
you can also try, uninstalling the drivers, OR simply removing the device and rebooting, and seeing if windows sees your new hardware and soes the re-install.

Also what is the model of the nic card?
please list the version of the drivers you are using for it?

You shouldn't have too many devices installed under Network adapters, especially on a desktop. Sometimes, on laptops you will get a few wireless adapters, but that's not the case here obviously :)

Historically, "network cable unplugged" is a problem with connectivity. If the cable works fine on your MAC (at least according to your post), I would suspect the cards RJ-45 interface is suspect.

But before you go out and replace it or try to swap it, I would take mlakrid's advice by un-installing all devices in that node of the Device Manager, and let Windows find what is new. If you have an onboard adapter, and are using a PCI card primarily, also try disabling the option not in use.

Are there any lights on where the network cable plugs into the socket?

rushm001 said:
Are there any lights on where the network cable plugs into the socket?

Good question and point, I didn't even think of that. Assuming the cable is connected properly, he could simply be looking at the incorrect connection in Control Panel.

DapperDan-Did you setup your PPPoE information properly?

ok,first thing.im not a tech head.when you get into tech stuff i really get confused.

i know its not the card.the card is new.
the lights on the card flash green for about 15 seconds then go off.
under network adaptors in devices there are like 8 devices listed,wans and other stuff.should i try to uninstall or disable them?
i have pulled out nic card and put back in.the laptop recognizes it.it says the device is working properly.but there is still the red x over lan icon in network connections.

what i would appreciate is if you guys could list a few steps to take from simple to complex that i should try.i appreciate you help very much.i have had this problem on xp before.

realize im not trying to set up a network or share files or anything.i am just trying to go from a dsl router out to the nic card.

any more advice appreciated.

thanx!
dan

btw,according to the manufacturer of the nic card,since i am usingg windows xp,no drivers are needed.they included a cd of drivers but i did not install them.

Ok first of all, wehn you look for your network connection, you should look at the specific one you are trying to make sure works...

With that said, it DOES work if you have green lights even if it is that brief...

Now, the best thing to do, is uninstall ALL network interfaces... remove your card...

then restart the computer, let it reinstall any other network devices... I.E. like kcny posted, then disable them and shutdown the computer.

then, reinstall your network card, and power your PC back on.

when it says new hardware found, choose select a specific location, and place your floppy or CD in the drive and let the installer find the file on the CD or floppy...

I know it says you dont need it, but it is better to use the existing driver provided, or better yet download the latest driver onto a floppy or cd (from another computer obviously) and install that one.

I always caution using the XP drivers especially if you have upgraded to Service Pack 2.

write back after you have done this, and if it doesnt fix your problem I can help you by using yahoo or MSN messenger (again obviously on another comp) and I can walk you through it.

Mike A!

PPPoe????

C'mon, guys, give dapperdan a break here. Simple things first.

It is a new network card, XP is picking it up no problem, CAT5 cable/Internet connection tested in other machine and working.

Now, as I posted earlier, did you check to see if the pins within the connector of your new card are aligned? I have seen this happen so many times that I can't count anymore. Just take a sharp object, like a paperclip, and align the pins that might be nudged over and touching others. Use your mac connector as a reference/guide.

Now, if that is not the problem, then we will get into bigger and better things.

Heeter

Last edited:
thanx man!its 1022 am here in the western us and i will not be able to to it until about 1pm.if you are still available then i will get in touch after i have tried everything and maybe we can take i from there with IM.

i really appreciate your time and expertise.

dan

Sorry if I was too technicial, I wish you the best of luck :) Feel free to try me by IM later on as well. I'm not always there, but my name is signed on 24x7

Heeter said:
PPPoe????

C'mon, guys, give dapperdan a break here. Simple things first.

It is a new network card, XP is picking it up no problem, CAT5 cable tested in other machine and working.

Now, as I posted earlier, did you check to see if the pins within the connector of your new card are aligned? I have seen this happen so many times that I can't count anymore. Just take a sharp object, like a paperclip, and align the pins that might be nudged over and touching others. Use your mac connector as a reference/guide.

Now, if that is not the problem, then we will get into bigger and better things.

Heeter

I think you missed it heeter he says he gets connectivity for a few seconds and then it drops out, it could STILL be bent pins, but like he said its brand new, AND he mentioned a red X as if something is disabled, Im guessing it could be his new nic.

:D

I understand mlakrid,

I 100% agree with you that it is the NIC card itself as well.

Heeter

ok guys.i had it working.the nic card was showing red and everything was ok.but when i restarted computer same old ****.bent pins where?everytime i insert back in it reads it and the green lights flash on.and where i plug dsl cable into mac,no problem.so is it the port going into the nic card?how to tell?i dont see "pins"

help

just unplugged cat5 cable from my mac and re-plugged into compaq an it worked.then unplugged and plugged back in and nothing.what gives??

If it is working sporatically it could be a virus. Has the computer been on the internet before?

Is it cutting in and out while your watching it? Or is it when you are pulling the plug and putting it back in? Check inside where the plug goes and see if you have pins touching each other.

Like Mlakrid said, It might be you got a bum card as well.

Heeter

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back