LAN / Internet Sharing

S

someone

I have set up a network with 10 computer using a switch. Everything has been ok, every comptuer sees the other and the internet is set up on computer1.

Is there anysoftware, proxy server software, preferrable fee software, not evalutaion, or maybe shareware, that will allow me to use that with 10 computers? It would be better if caching is allowed. HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, Socks, POP3, SMTP, are the protocols I need.

I tried installing Ragnarok, a game from www.ragnarokonline.com, this is an online game, using a static ip, it returns an error stating that it does not connect to the file server, i removed the static ip and used DHCP instead, and everything is ok. Is there anything wrong using static IP addresses? I used the conventional 192.168.0.* When I tried using the DHCP, the proxy server I am running from http://cerbere.szym.org, it shows an error that the machine is not allowed to connect to the server. I have already allowed *.*.*.* to connect to the proxy server. Still it does not solve the problem. I had to stick with ICS which resilts to a very slow internet connection on each and every terminal except, of course, to the machine connected to the internet. By the way, I am using a dial-up internet connection.

All 10 machines are running on Windows XP Professional. Any suggestion to make this better.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

:eek:

If you want free Proxy and caching software I would recommend not using Windows ICS, but instead use something like Unix with Squid for the caching, and then setup route on that to allow internet for the others.

I will have a look for Windows Server Caching software though, but that is very unlikely to be free for any number of machines.

this is really a nice solution, but i think the computer connected directly to the internet will be functioning as a network server, with this respect, it will already be limited to this functionality.

with the problem of dhcp enabled machines accessing the proxy server, what do you think seems to be wrong, cerbere.szym.org is a good shareware software with this, but the only problem is with the ip address, I think.

if not free, are there any not-so-expensive proxy software?

:rolleyes:

this is really a nice solution, but i think the computer connected directly to the internet will be functioning as a network server, with this respect, it will already be limited to this functionality.

with the problem of dhcp enabled machines accessing the proxy server, what do you think seems to be wrong, cerbere.szym.org is a good shareware software with this, but the only problem is with the ip address, I think.

if not free, are there any not-so-expensive proxy software?

:rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back