L2 Cache Problem

Hipster Doofus

Good grief Charlie Brown
I'm trying to install a new cpu. When I do I can boot up. When I run the second test in prime95 the system will reboot. After days of playing around with it I just saw through a program that the L2 cache is not working. It is enabled in the bios.

How can I get it working?

How would I do that?

edit: That would be NO!. :(

w00t w00t w00t w00t

That would be YES!

w00t w00t w00t w00t

Got it on ebay. Supposedly it was new (OEM). Anyway I emailed the guy so will see what happens.

That will probably be my first & last experience with ebay.

I've also come to realise that when buying a computer get what you want & not think about upgrading at a future time. Parts are too hard to get a hold of. :mad:

What program is telling you this. I don't think I've ever heard of a defective L2 cache, not saying that it can't happen.

Using 'fuzzy logic 3'. When I press for info on L2 it say it is OFF. Not sure of what it says exactly. I've got the old cpu in at the moment.

When I press info for L2 with the old cpu it comes up OK.

Given up with fuzzy saying L2 is OFF. Other programs can read the L2 info.

With the 2.5ghz cpu installed I can play games, look around windows explorer, so on.

But if I run the 2nd or 3rd test of prime95 even 3D Mark03 it will reboot.

Would a bad cpu do that......run not run or could it possibly be my power supply going bad?

Is there a program that will test the PSU or does it have to come out & get tested by an electrician?

Hipster Doofus said:
Is there a program that will test the PSU or does it have to come out & get tested by an electrician?
You can always monitor the voltages. If they are ok, then the PSU is fine. If they drop under load the PSU is struggeling.

A note: Some voltage sensors may be giving faulty readings. My 3.3V is reported at 3.0V, but there is nothing wrong with the computer. Other sensors may vary wildly, but this is most likely also a sensor fault. But if a voltage is ok during idle and sinks below the low threshold under load, the PSU is having problems.

i personally have had a cpu go bad on me. the L2 cache was bad on it and would not allow me to boot at all, it would just die at random time, upon rma'ing the cpu and a new one sent, it performs flawlessly all the time now.

Well it wasn't the power supply. With a new Antec TruePower 480w I got the same problem.

I got this 2.5ghz cpu off of ebay. I been in contact with the seller & he's turned out to be a very honest & reliable guy.

I posted the cpu back to him today, got home & checked my email. He has already refunded all my money, including postage. He even offered to pay for the return postage which I told him not to worry about.

He's going to test the cpu for himself. Hopefully it gives him curry too. Damn thing better because I tried everything I could think of to get it going.

Starting fresh with an old thread:::::::::::::::

With installing a new cpu, one that maxes out the board, then being able to boot into windows with it, play a game or two with no problems, then run prime95 & 3D Mark 03 & get almost instant reboots.............is one possiblility the mother board?

When installing the old cpu all problems go away.

It's old but is is the latest.

When I was trouble shooting I even loaded an older bios but it didn't help.

Board is MSI 850 Pro5.

CPU was Pentium 4 2.5 400mhz.

Everything else seems to be OK. I'm going for a 2.6ghz cpu this time. Hopefully it is not the board but time will tell.

I now have the 1.5 ghz cpu installed & have no trouble.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back