KVM Switch - What You Got?

I went for the ultra-cheap version.

It's called Remote Desktop.

All kidding aside, KC I looked at some reviews on yours - seems they use cheapo wiring that craps out after awhile. Otherwise, it sure is cost effective. :) Look forward to the review.

Mastershakes said:
I went for the ultra-cheap version.

It's called Remote Desktop.

All kidding aside, KC I looked at some reviews on yours - seems they use cheapo wiring that craps out after awhile. Otherwise, it sure is cost effective. :) Look forward to the review.
RDC is good, but I hot-swap a lot of machines. In order to use that effectively I would have to keep changing a butt load of settings, make new accounts, etc., and that is not worth it.

I did read about the wiring, but that was only a small percentage of the reviews I read. Also, I don't use any fancy-pants mice/keyboard/monitor combinations. For this particular setup, it should do just fine. I believe it also has like a 3 or 5 year warranty, so if I have issues, I can take care of that too :)

Um, yeah, I can RD as many as I want, but let me clarify.

I have one dev machine, a server, and the a few bastard children here and there. The main reason I got this KVM is so I can switch between Dev and machines that I am working on or fixing. I do, and still will strictly RDC to my server, but for those little P.O.S.'s that come along, I don't want to have to enable the RDC feature, create myself an account, give the account priveleges, it's just not worth it.

Besides, if the computer is hosed by spyware or virii, it is a better connection if you are local (via KVM), then over the network. Spyware can slow a machine down by up to 500%

Sigh, just hooked it up today. So much for getting right on it :)

I'm going to be using it pretty heavily over the next few days, and will do my best to put together some information for a review :)

So far, I love it :)

I need a new one. My Linksys doesnt output good quality video (fuzzy spots) and my Logitech keyboard's extra buttons dont work :(

What kind of keyboard do u have Derek?

Admiral Michael said:
I need a new one. My Linksys doesnt output good quality video (fuzzy spots) and my Logitech keyboard's extra buttons dont work :(

What kind of keyboard do u have Derek?
I just have a basic USB Dell Mouse and Keyboard, they both are switching VERY nicely ;)

HMMmmmmmm and I have two keyboards and two meese! Believe it or not though, this is something that leaves me seriously wondering about the KVM "switchover" because for the first weeks/months I can just see myself reaching for a phantom other mouse/keyboard! The KVM issue is going to come up for me though, just as soon as I fetch up with more than TWO machines around this desktop! Then it becomes mandatory, because no way am I allowing this mouse and keyboard breeding to continue!

I currently have 3 machines, life without a KVM would be so un-productive :(

Review is actually in progress btw, I've been doing it here and there offline ;)

wwwdjrcs said:
I currently have 3 machines, life without a KVM would be so un-productive :(

Review is actually in progress btw, I've been doing it here and there offline ;)

Cant wait to read it.

I have a dlink. it works great .. Of course now with my wireless keyboard and mouse; I can't use it ...

There is one usb port going to the computer. Because of that it don't work. I found out that I also have to switch to the regular ps2 mouse to run anything in boot up stance. I am thinking about taking the thing back and getting a new one .. I don't like this .. it's a nice set but it is to limited ...

Johnny said:
There is one usb port going to the computer. Because of that it don't work.
Really? Mine has only one and it works for KVM'ing between my XP and OS X boxes no problems at all.

Xie said:
Really? Mine has only one and it works for KVM'ing between my XP and OS X boxes no problems at all.

Can you run boot up programs with it ?? IE; I have a cronis true image. It won't work with the boot disk, I have to hook the ps2 mouse up to use it ..

This switch works damn nearly flawlessly for me. I have a USB KBD/Mouse, and they all work with XP without issues. I can boot into BartPE and everything works there as well, even the audio :s

more coming in the review, eventually :p

Johnny said:
Can you run boot up programs with it ?? IE; I have a cronis true image. It won't work with the boot disk, I have to hook the ps2 mouse up to use it ..

I believe you need to look for and enable "USB Legacy" support in the BIOS.

Johnny said:
Never used anything like True Image w/ it. I would suppose so though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back