KVM Switch - What You Got?

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
I'm real picky about my hardware, and have been searching online for about a week for a quality KVM to be used at my place. I have a couple that I am looking at, but as I imagine this is a somewhat common device for our forum members, wanted some input on switches you may already have. There are a few things I am looking for....

• USB Support - my peripherals (mouse, keyboard) are both USB
  • At least 2, maybe 4 ports. I'm a little on the fence with this one, but so far from my experience the cost difference is slim, so I may lean towards 4 to allow for expansion.
  • Audio - I essentially want to have one set of speakers, capable of providing for all connected machines
  • Software switching - I am big into cable management, and would love to tuck this away behind some other items. I want to be able to change via hotkeys on the keyboard rather than hitting buttons on the interface
  • External Cabling - I do NOT want attached cables, that is messy if they are not in use.
I think that is it for now, anyone have one that is really sweet?

Belkin OmniView SOHO Series

STD1_F1DS104U.jpg

I have been looking long and hard at the Soho actually :)

I was more just hoping to see if anyone had one they liked, vs. ones they've used that they don't like. From my experience, people either love or hate KVM's, so I'm trying to "take the pulse of the people" :p

I do as well. And EP, I will even do a review on one when I pick it up. I believe I owe you one since our disagreement on the Garmine iQue m5 ;)

I wish you the best of luck with the Belkin. We got an Omniview PRO2 8 port kvm at work and it failed almost immediately. I emailed their tech support but haven't received a response.... that was 2 weeks ago. RMA here we come!

My KVM makes parts of my LCD somewhat blurry. I'm not sure if it's from the LVM unit or it's crappy cables. I did have to buy a triple shielded VGA extension as the crappy radioshack one caused more quality problems.

I have this one:
http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/ps2kvm2.html

Also, my keyboard software (Logitech SetPoint) didn't always see the enhanced keys. Which is weird cause I always use PS/2 not USB.

I tried the Belkin, Hawking Technology and Linksys;
From the time I connected them there was one problem after another always something (the video would be distorted or fade at times or I would loose the mouse/Keyboard in the middle of doing something and then have to reboot to bring that system up usable again).

I heard good things about the “IOGEAR GCS84B” from reading many reviews after the problems with others I tried, and ordered one of the IOGEAR in May 2005 and have not had one of the problems that I had with the others not one. From day one never been a problem with it, works so nice it’s like it’s not even there. Sense I bought mine 2 friends have bought the same one and have had no problems with there’s either.

It’s PS/2 not USB so it’s not what KC asks about but might help others.

IOGEAR

Newegg

I have an I/OGEAR .. much better then Beklin has been to me. For the most part I have no complaits.

*edit* - linky to the one I have .. here.

*does dance*

It's supposed to come in today, it's on the truck for delivery :)

wwwdjrcs said:
*does dance*

It's supposed to come in today, it's on the truck for delivery :)

**PULLS OUT GUN**

you promised a review, so cough it up after you get to use it extensively...

**PUTS GUN AWAY (for now)** :eek:

Oh don't worry, I will.

I plan on beating this thing up real nice tonight ;)

W00t, the switch is in!

I'm going to play with it, and hope to have a review done within a few days :)

Depends how much time I get free this weekend, which is looking slim...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back