KVM over IP - anyone using?

Mainframeguy

Debiant by way of Ubuntu
I just saw this rather sexeh device....

and it got me wondering - are any folks here suing this kind of stuff? I mean I do not need it myself, it is hardly domestic, but if I had it.... HMMMmmmm.... possibilities exist!

We had a dell solution but it uses some Java interface client and is limited to 2 users on the same machine or something utterly not useful.

Is KVM over tcp/ip not too disimmilar from your standard VNC tho?

I agree with regards to the VNC thing. Heck, even a KVM when you are at the workstation can be problematic enough sometimes :s

KVM over IP is the way to go when using remote sites...

Here at CENTCOM for our remote sites we use Raritan KVM over IP solution see HERE...

Granted it is NOT for the average home user; however, for Global Enterprises you can not beat Raritan right now...

Cheers..

Mike A!

I'm too lazy to look, but what would be the advantage when looking at cost differences versus remote software that utilizes your own keyboard/video/mouse?

cool - I went through their largest .pdf file - and I STILL have no idea of the cost of this technology though :eek:

Personally I would think some type of remote software would be better. In that sense, you can, in most cases, have more than one user on the machine at once.

I would think KVMs are limited to one user at a time.

As I stated above the Avocents we use can do 2, 4 or 8 screens at a time advantage's we get 1: bios on remote machine 2: remote machines are dos based controllers for production in the plant ( not windows or anyone other OS so there is no software program you can install and use cause there is no OS )

As I stated above the Avocents we use can do 2, 4 or 8 screens at a time advantage's we get 1: bios on remote machine 2: remote machines are dos based controllers for production in the plant ( not windows or anyone other OS so there is no software program you can install and use cause there is no OS )
I knew about the BIOS type access - that is the cool part!

We still do not know about the costs - which was the questions being asked, but I guess it is one of those unquantifiables because if you need it you just have to pay - for me the question was pure curiosity - so do not feel you need to ask your manager the price - I just thought someone might know...

I still think this kit is sexeh though! Anyone agree? Or am I weird?

Its not a problem the unit was around $6000 give or take ....that was for the 8 screens at a time and its a 32 port that uses ps2 mouse/keyboard to rj45 into back of the unit there is also the USB/rj54 units. Dude its ultra sexeh!! we always get a buzz when we unpack and setup these at work, playing with high tech toys is always cool.

MFG said:
cool - I went through their largest .pdf file - and I STILL have no idea of the cost of this technology though :eek:

These have actually been out for awhile now - I saw this one back in the Fall catalog last year. --

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=12034

They need to add audio and usb capabilities now :p

EDIT: You know.. I was just thinking - there is bound to be quite a lot of lag between the peripherals and the return video signal... especially if you use this thing between countries :eek:

These have actually been out for awhile now - I saw this one back in the Fall catalog last year. --

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=12034

They need to add audio and usb capabilities now :p

EDIT: You know.. I was just thinking - there is bound to be quite a lot of lag between the peripherals and the return video signal... especially if you use this thing between countries :eek:

Not really, think about it there is no need for error correction, so what you have in essence is a UDP connection...

signals go out, no signals have ACKS/NACKS...
Personally I would think some type of remote software would be better. In that sense, you can, in most cases, have more than one user on the machine at once.

I would think KVMs are limited to one user at a time.

Not true the product I listed can have multiple logins, but it is licensed based, Im not sure of the exact number... I can look it up if you really want me too...

Or you can use the PDF... and find out for yourself?? :eek:

Also lag is not an issue because these things are run on private networks / or secure vpn tunnels

shamus said:
Also lag is not an issue because these things are run on private networks / or secure vpn tunnels
I'm sure that in a closed (private) network it wouldn't be a problem, however if you linked it to a port on an external router , lets say, and accessed it via ip from overseas - I'm sure by the time your keyboard sends out a letter, it gets to your compy on a different continent, compy proccesses the signal and sends a visual return to your monitor this may take some time.

Maybe I'll buy one and hook it up before I go to Europe next. If it had that usb connection though, think about the possibilities with usb external drives/usb soundcard/usb bluetooth. Would need a pretty good connection though, T3 or higher lol.

All you need to do is run through a vpn ..when you know how these things really work you will understand a little better

"Not really, think about it there is no need for error correction, so what you have in essence is a UDP connection...signals go out, no signals have ACKS/NACKS..."

As was all ready talked about you need to understand how networks and connections talk to each other .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back