Knoppix - STD

M

Madtripper

I recently installed this OS on an old Comtech laptop. You can run it from the CD which is pretty cool as it leaves no trace you ever touched the host pc. I needed a stable OS for a junk laptop and this fit the bill. There is a host of security tools (hence Security Tools Distribution) and it picked my hardware and network up with little issue.

If you are interested in reading up a bit more or getting the distro, click here.

You can use the original Knoppix install to get going. You can dig that up here

Tripper

If you're going to use Linux more permanently on the Laptop I suggest you acctually install a distro. That way you don't have to have the CD in the drive all the time.

I guess I should have clarified.

I used the CD to get the gist of the OS but once I decided I liked it, I followed the typical Knoppix install and put it to the HDD. It is running fine and keeps my junker afloat for the time being. Running it from the CD was pretty cool but obviously, speed issues were apparent. Now that my HDD is hosting the whole OS, it runs as fast as you would expect an old 300Mhz laptop to perform and has all the bells and whistles of knoppix plus the STD's.

Tripper

I recently downloaded the latest knoppix std build. i am genuinely impressed with it and i would like to know how to install it from the cd, as i know there is a way to do so. im pretty much a linux n00b so any help is appreciated :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back