knoppix 3.7 and 3Com LOM 3C940 network card

Howling Wolf

We did not deserve this !
Hi all,

I'm totally newbie as far as Linux is concerned...

I saw the news on the frontpage about Gnome 2.10 Live (based on Ubuntu which is based on Debian Sarge, I read), so I decided to give it a try :) everythiing works fine, net included.

But my problem is with Knoppix 3.7 (with kernel 2.6.9):

Looks real nice at first.
But it tells me I have no network card though I have an onboard chip on my motherboard (Asus A7V600), it's a 3Com LOM 3C940 (which is perfectly recognised and configured for the net (dhcp) with Gnome 2.10 Live).

I found a workaround somewhere, but as I already told, I know nothing about Linux... so if someone here could explain what follows step by step...

Here it is:

"Here's the workaround:
[...]

1- If you're using the 2.4.xx kernel, I'd recommend updating, but you can a source patch from syskonnect to add driver to your source tree. 2.6 has it built in.

2- go to your source tree (/usr/src/linux), and type "make menuconfig".
If you don't have networking support or something like that, then you'll have to enable that and recompile the whole kernel. Otherwise, though, you can just make this one as a module. Go to device drivers -> networking support -> Ethernet (1000 mbit) -> Marvel Yukon Chipset / SysKonnect SK-98xx Support (modularize it).

3- exit and save your configuration

4- type "make modules"

5- type "make modules_install"

6- type "modprobe sk98lin"

7- use the net !
"

First of all, I don't know how to go to "device drivers"... is it accessible from the menu or from the command line (how ?) ? I searched for it, to no avail...

How do I "modularize" ?

I know how to save the config on my usb key, but is it what the step 3 means ?

From step 1, kernel 2.6 is supposed to have the driver built in... really ? Where ?

Thank you for you help in advance for lighting my way... ;)

I would help you if I knew anything about Linux.. I dont so, on a hunch I did a search for Linux.. the same person who told us to find the linux... TDINC should be able to help you I would imagine...

Sorry to hear the female white wolf passed... how long ago was that??

Neat Site..

The steps you have above are the steps on how to rebuild the kernel with modular support for that networking card, which I don't think you can do with a live cd, but all modules should be built.

You should be able to, as root, just type in:

modprobe sk98lin

Run lsmod and make sure it is loaded, then configure your network.

thanx j79zlr,
how do I run anything as root ? And what is the password for root btw ...?

And no, I don't need to recompile the kernel, if I read well what I put in bold...

Howling Wolf said:
thanx j79zlr,
how do I run anything as root ? And what is the password for root btw ...?

And no, I don't need to recompile the kernel, if I read well what I put in bold...

as far as a root password with Knoppix... see Here

being new to linux myself, might try and look at the how-to i did for the ndiswrapper. It will probably be alittle different, but should give some ideas anyways. I took this from about 5 how-tos that I had to piece mill together.

good luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back