Klm

Kush

High On Life!
when i got on the flight from amsterdam to cairo yesterday i saw the screens infront of each seat boot, and they run linux for the entertainment sytem, though that was cool, tux was on the screen for a couple of secs

themafia.69 said:
when i got on the flight from amsterdam to cairo yesterday i saw the screens infront of each seat boot, and they run linux for the entertainment sytem, though that was cool, tux was on the screen for a couple of secs

They switched away from a propriety system to a Linux system a while ago because the company that owned the software went bankrupt. This very same system will show up in other companies as well, like Swiss, Lufthansa, and United, to replace the system.

Wish I was going to Amsterdam sometime soon. Saving money, will go in the summer though, but that is still a long time away, will not be able to see the family over this vacation and spend newyears with them.

dont worry i didnt have that much fun there, i had a 10 hour layover and an egyptian passport which means i cant leave the airport to go sight seeing, so i ended up spending 10 euros on a 24 hour wireless internet pass, and leeched my ass off, as well as uploading, so that was a cool experience to use the internet in an airport to download hehe.

edit: what i want to know though is how they can stream soo many movies to so many people at the same time without bottle necks (eg like do they have a pc for every amount of screens or just one for the whole plane streaming everything, really interested in how the system works)

Streaming is just multicast, IIRC they don't allow start when you want yet.

Basically, they send one "signal" over the broadcast, so it goes down to all the computers in the back of the chair, where it can then be picked up by anyone listening that can decode it, and then display it.

So it is not like each movie is running individually, as this would also be almost impossible to hold up. Will write more as to how I think it works later.

not true, you can start a movie whenever you want, and there are many to pick from, i was watching sin city and decided to stop and watch the longest yard, and it didnt pick up from half way it started from the begining, you even can control it (eg rewind and fast forward)

themafia.69 said:
not true, you can start a movie whenever you want, and there are many to pick from, i was watching sin city and decided to stop and watch the longest yard, and it didnt pick up from half way it started from the begining, you even can control it (eg rewind and fast forward)

That's interesting.

I guess it works similar to how cable companies let you order movies and then let you rewind and forward them.

But its cool how they managed to pull that off on a plane.

cool points for klm
images

hehe - i actually live here in the Netherlands....(Amsterdam is in the Netherlands for those that smoke too much pot to realise...haha)

this place rocks except for the weather.

;)

Sexo um Pato said:
hehe - i actually live here in the Netherlands....(Amsterdam is in the Netherlands for those that smoke too much pot to realise...haha)

this place rocks except for the weather.

;)

Ummm... why does your location say Sydney then?

You never heard of Sydney, Netherlands? Where you been hiding?

lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back