'Kill switch' dropped from Vista

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Microsoft is to withdraw an anti-piracy tool from Windows Vista, which disables the operating system when invoked, following customer complaints.

The so-called "kill switch" is designed to prevent users with illegal copies of Vista from using certain features.

source
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7126902.stm

this bit made me laugh

Microsoft has described the new approach as a "change of tactics". It said efforts to tackle piracy had seen numbers of fake copies of Vista at half the level of XP, the previous Windows operating system.

thats because half the people are still using XP because they dont want to use vista :D

It is to stop the folks with false positives (for whatever reason) being locked out of their systems.

proves your damned if you do and damned if you dont :p

XP rules! :p

Now come to think of it, didn't MicroSquish try something like this with XP and also changed it's mind?

There's still Genuine Dis"Advantage" I believe they got rid of the uber annoying Genuine Notification thingy. It was forced out as a "critical" update and would bother you at startup about validating your windows install even after it was validated something like every three days or such.

The notification still exists in XP and Vista SP1.

Thank God! Wouldn't want to lose that amazing feature!

I had to download another Genuine Verification thing on Windows Update on my VMWare Image.

A new version (v2) was released for XP last week.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back