'Kill switch' dropped from Vista

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Staff member
Political User
Microsoft is to withdraw an anti-piracy tool from Windows Vista, which disables the operating system when invoked, following customer complaints.

The so-called "kill switch" is designed to prevent users with illegal copies of Vista from using certain features.

source
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7126902.stm

this bit made me laugh

Microsoft has described the new approach as a "change of tactics". It said efforts to tackle piracy had seen numbers of fake copies of Vista at half the level of XP, the previous Windows operating system.

thats because half the people are still using XP because they dont want to use vista :D

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political User
XP rules! :p

Now come to think of it, didn't MicroSquish try something like this with XP and also changed it's mind?

j79zlr

Glaanies script monkey
Political User
There's still Genuine Dis"Advantage" I believe they got rid of the uber annoying Genuine Notification thingy. It was forced out as a "critical" update and would bother you at startup about validating your windows install even after it was validated something like every three days or such.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut