KGB Archiver - Impressive

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
Read about this a short while ago, apparently this application can compress a 430MB file to as small as 1.4MB :s

test2.jpg

http://kgbarchiver.sourceforge.net/

But it's text. Who has a 430 MB text file? :p Unless you plan on downloading wikipedia...

Something like a jpeg or an mp3 is already compressed so the benefits for that are negligible.

Unless you do a lot of text, the file itself is relatively small only 958kb. the requirements though preclude this on an older computer.

the bonus here would be for transfers.

warez groups use UHA on the rip releases to get 100+ meg files down to a few meg.. would be cool if you could transmit ntfs sparse file's as the sparse streams themselves though :)

Supposed to be able to compress an Office ISO to only a few MB's :)

Admiral Michael said:
I was gonna try it but....
Yeah -it's very taxing on hardware. Read the requirements on their page, it is possible but you may need to free up some RAM.

Well I tried it on my laptop which is powerful but not enough. I would have to try it on my deskop but it has Vista so I dunno if I wanna try it.

Yeah, wouldn't want to try a final version of software on a beta OS :p

Just kidding ;) When I get my RAM in tomorrow I may play with this a little.

Technically, I can write a program to shrink a 1 gig file to 1k - just don't expect to be able to expand it afterwards :)

I heard of programs like this. they compress alright, but don't decompress very well. I'll test it out and see how it does ..

I tried this on a exe file. I doesn't hardly compress it no matter what setting you use. The file was 34.01 meg. After compression it was 34 meg even. Nothing about it impresses me so far.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back