Kernel 2.6.x

You're right. rc.modules doesn't seem to be the cuplrit. As long as everything works okay, it's all good, IMO :)

I dont like errors, benign or not, I'm sure someone much smarter than I will figure out the problem. Seems to be pretty common.

So is this 2.6.1 specific, or did it happen with 2.6.0 as well?
I'm asking because I went directly from 2.4.22 to 2.6.1

nope, no errors with 2.6.0, if you google the error, you will see it returns alot of 2.6.1rc1, etc, and 2.6.1 but no 2.6.0.

Well I didn;t find anything yet, but noticed the devpts error in yours, you could probably make that go away by compiling /dev/pts under FileSystems---> PseudoFile Systems ---> UNIX 98 PTYs

Camasii said:
I'm running 2.6 on my laptop under Gentoo and I have to say it runs very smoothly. I used to be a slackware user and switching over to gentoo was one of the best things I ever did. Check it out, the install is a bit complicated (do a stage3 if you're confused) but in the end it's worth having for portage, a system that automatically downloads, configures, compiles, and installs programs for you. It's a pretty basic install, you have to emerge (the command to use portage) X11 and Gnome\KDE\*box and everything else you need but theres lots of docs and such on the website, www.gentoo.org

-Tim

How about you run http://freebsd.org/ , which is where the entire idea to portage origaned from.

Portage is really not all that special, and all that patches they push upon you is crazy, go look at all the patches portage applies to qMail, its a waste.

NetRyder said:
Hehe, took me a couple of recompiles as well. Kept making stupid errors like installing the Radeon modules, but leaving out the AGP controller. But it was worth it in the end, I think. :)

Ah, you should really try FreeBSD, you got the generic config file, you have everything you want in there, you remove the entries with a # in front, change the ident, and then cd /usr/src
make buildworld # only if upgrading version
make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL # GENERIC is default, you rename, and edit your own
make installkernel KERNCONF=YOURKERNEL # same as above
shutdown -r now
make installworld
shutdown -r now
uname -a
FreeBSD Dragonflame.Network.Home 5.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE #1: Mon Jan 12 19:51:48 EST 2004 xistence@Dragonflame.Network.Home:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DR GONFLAME i386

Its just to easy, and its REALLY hard to screw up your kernel config, just leave in anything your not sure off.

after rebooting into single user mode, I always

make installworld
mergemaster
shutdown -r +1

X, don't you need to run mergemaster to merge changed config files?

and having done both Linux and BSD kernel recompiles in the last 2 days, BSD's is definitely much easier (when it works)

My BSD compile always works, and i have never run mergemaster, as it always ****s up my config files, and i like em the way they are currently, until i have a problem i aint touching it. Unless i know something changed that i need to know about.

X-Istence said:
My BSD compile always works, and i have never run mergemaster, as it always ****s up my config files, and i like em the way they are currently, until i have a problem i aint touching it. Unless i know something changed that i need to know about.

Actually I've never had a kernel fail, just the make installworld every time I tried to go from 4.8 or 4.9 RELEASE to 5-CURRENT, the 4-STABLE branch installed fine.

Hrm, dont go current, to go to 5.2-RELEASE, tag RELENG_5_2

I had to run mergemaster for 5.2-RELEASE, if i didnt on my server it wouldnt come back up.

j79zlr said:
ok 2.6.1 installed :) getting a couple errors, google makes me think that there is an error with 2.6.1

bash-2.05b# dmesg | grep error
request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- snd-card-1. error = 256
request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- net-pf-10. error = 256
request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- char-major-6-0. error = 256
request_module: failed /sbin/modprobe -- char-major-10-134. error = 256

Note that everything is working correctly.

Resurrecting this thread. :)
Was just wondering if these issues still exist in 2.6.3

All of the errors seem to have gone away in 2.6.3, was still there in 2.6.2 if I remember correctly. As far as net-pf, I found out that an error was added every time Mozilla/Firefox were launched, made dmesg useless pretty quick. They try to use IPv6 for DNS [from what I read, but DNS still works here] and I didn't compile it in.

That's good to know. :)
Unfortunately, I had to nuke my Slack partition a few weeks ago. It had become a little too cluttered after all the experimentation I subjected it to over the months.
Will be sure to compile in 2.6.3 when I reinstall it though. Quite curious to try KDE 3.2 as well. It's been ages since I last used KDE at all. :D

yeah, i just compiled 2.6.3 on my slack laptop but i always use Fluxbox, nothing more nothing less :D

Just cause i want to try this out, i am gonna get myself a linux iso (I feel extremely dirty), and try to get either SuSe or Slackware to run without getting pissed off extremely cause of the way its heirarchy is.

Ever managed to get the Flash plugin working on FreeBSD, X-Istence? :p

Kernel 2.6.4 released

Wow...what can I say? New kernels are popping up faster than ever lately. I usually like to stay on the bleeding edge when it comes to this sort of stuff, but I think I'm going to stick to 2.6.3 for a while this time, considering I just reinstalled Slack and custom compiled the kernel about a week ago.

In any case, for those that are still running anything older than 2.6.x, it should be worth your while to upgrade. As usual, kernel.org is the place to get it.

Download: http://www.kernel.org
Changelog: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.4

EDIT: Threads merged and title changed. Lets try to keep this updated with any further 2.6.x releases :)

I'm going to stay with 2.6.3 for a while. It's worked perfectly for me ... while 2.6.1 and 2.6.2 gave me problems. My Slack box has been up for over 16 days now ... longest uptime since 2.4.x.

vern@wenberg: vern $ uname -a
Linux wenberg 2.6.3 #1 Sun Feb 22 01:35:19 CST 2004 i686 unknown unknown GNU/Linux
vern@wenberg: vern $ uptime
03:59:44 up 16 days, 10:51, 1 user, load average: 0.02, 0.02, 0.00

If this trend continues ... I probably won't be compiling a new kernel for a very loooonngg time.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back