Keeping IE favorites order

Eiji

OSNN Addict
Is there any way I can save or export the custom order I have my IE7 favorites?

Like if I re-install the OS I can just copy the favorites folder into the C:\Documents and Settings\User folder like I usually do and the order won't be alphabetical?

Thanks!

After you re-install your favorites, right click on any of them and select Sort by Name.

After you re-install your favorites, right click on any of them and select Sort by Name.
that'll give him aphabeltical arrangement, which he does not want, he wants the order he's set, which is "modified"

however on export, "modified" doesn't hold.

I think you have to experiment with saving the links in a separate folder, then use wondows key+r and type in "favorites"

that opens the folder, I would then copy the links into a new folder, that should retain the order of your links

then on your new box, do the same thing and paste from that folder

I think that'll work

I don't know about IE7 but I know IE6 stores the favourites as shortcuts in your user folder so the custom order won't be kept.

Now Firefox stores the favorites (called bookmarks) as an html file so your order is retained if you restore after a re-install.

Last edited:
I don't know about IE7 but I know IE6 stores the favourites as shortcuts in your user folder so the custom order won't be kept.

Now Firefox stores the favorites (called bookmarks) as an html file so your order is retained if you restaore after a re-install.

that's why he has to save the links manually, but this is simple with a cut and paste

eiji

put "favorites" into your run box hit enter

hit edit, select all, copy

save that and email it to yourself or save it to some removeable format

on your new box, go to your email and copy those links which you emailed to yourself, highlight and copy

open the favorites folder in run like you did on your original, paste the list into that folder

I believe that will work but I didn't experiment

you're going to have to do the same thing with each folder and create a new folder with the cut and paste along the same method

or you can open all the folders before you cut and save

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure you're grasping what he wants done. Yes he wants to backup his favourites, but he wants to keep the order at which he oraganized then in the favourites menu on IE (not alphabetical).

With IE and it's storage of favourites, its a simple folder with web shortcuts, there is no method to backing up the custom order. When you restore they are either done alphabetically or a mess.

I was stating that Firefox stores the favourites as a html file which also stores the order you put the favourites (osnn over neowin lets say).

I hope I explained that correctly.

EDIT: I could be off too. If I am, sorry.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure you're grasping what he wants done. Yes he wants to backup his favourites, but he wants to keep the order at which he oraganized then in the favourites menu on IE (not alphabetical).

Yep, thats exactly what I want to do.

You can export your favorites using Tools > Import and Export, this generates an HTML file. I am just assuming it keeps your current order as well.

Just tested it with IE6 and no, it sorts it alphabetically. Gotta love MS.

IE7 MAY do it. I refuse to install IE7 so someone else would have to test it.

Oh sorry I did not read close enough before and did not see you wanted a custom order.

Save your bookmarks then to retain your custom order you will need to export a registry entry then import it when you re-install the bookmarks you have saved.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites

try american zombies solution, or, rename your favorites with a number infront of the title in the order you want

that will do the trick

Thanks American Zombie. The registry trick works just fine :)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites

Just wanted to comment that this registry key is used by IE6, upon installation of IE7 this registry key does not exist, nor is it used by IE7.

I have yet to figure out how IE7 saves the sort order of favorites, and I need this information for an application that I develop.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back