Keep your juice away from your laptop (help :/)

I'm pretty sure it'll start working again. Why don't you use a hair dryer to dry out rest of the liquid? I remember doing that with my keyboard. :p

Well apparently I have a three year extended next-business day warranty. Makes me feel soo much better. My previous stories with warranties aren't pretty.

But I am hoping it will boot up tommorow morning. Or else I need to come up with an excellent excuse for my dad.

~bk: the keyboard ain't the problem.

It's not that important...I have all my stuff backed up to the NAS. And I don't have anything to mount it on. Plus it was dry, and didn't have any residue on it.

that juice in there will eventually destroy it. Wipe it down with alchohol using q-tips in the smaller spaces. That will remove the juice. Let it dry for at least 72 hours.

do you have the accidental warranty coverage that they provide as well?

LoctOut said:
that juice in there will eventually destroy it. Wipe it down with alchohol using q-tips in the smaller spaces. That will remove the juice. Let it dry for at least 72 hours.

That's what I'm afraid will happen in the long run. I will try the q-tip suggestion if I get it to work.

chief: It just says "Next Business Day, Includes Nights/Weekends". So I don't think so.

Sazar said:
Did you get teh complete care coverage?

I don't remember paying for it, and my account at Dell.com doesn't say so either. How would I be able to tell from Dell.com if I did?

Edit: And I can't check my order history to find out for certain, it seems like they have disabled it due to high traffic.

I'm getting off for the night, good luck to you Omar, may the force be with you :)

PM me your original order confirmation number.

I'll see if I can look it up. Tomorrow. If we're not iced out :eek:

Sazar said:
PM me your original order confirmation number.

I'll see if I can look it up. Tomorrow. If we're not iced out :eek:

Will do sir, thank you.

Well, now that I'm a couple hours too late...

1) NEVER NOT DRY ANYTHING WITH SUGAR IN IT IN PLACE! It turns to glue.
2) NEVER HEAT ANYTHING THAT IS ACIDIC! Heat accelerates corrosion.
3) Do not clean with water!

What Perris said. Pull HD and back it up if there is anything important.

The juice has to come out immediately. It is acidic and will cause leakage paths in the circuitry. Sugar will gum up the keyboard and fans, cause dust and dirt to stick to circuits and heatsinks causing electrical leakage and reduced heat transfer.

-Shutdown and turn the laptop over to shake out as much OJ as you can.
-Use a dry cotton cloth to wipe excess OJ from all surfaces inside and outside. Yes, disassembly is a must.
-Dampen another cotton cloth with isopropyl alcohol to wipe off all surfaces especially around the keyboard, fan, etc. Preferably you should flow isopropyl over all surfaces that are not sealed.
-Let the unit air dry at room temperature.

When you get the laptop working sell it quick because without compressed air and a hefty supply of isopropyl you will never get it clean.

Good luck.

PS Your day is going better than mine. I'm home 4 hours late because I fried a $100k unit at work today...

LeeJend said:
Well, now that I'm a couple hours too late...

1) NEVER NOT DRY ANYTHING WITH SUGAR IN IT IN PLACE! It turns to glue.
2) NEVER HEAT ANYTHING THAT IS ACIDIC! Heat accelerates corrosion.
3) Do not clean with water!

What Perris said. Pull HD and back it up if there is anything important.

The juice has to come out immediately. It is acidic and will cause leakage paths in the circuitry. Sugar will gum up the keyboard and fans, cause dust and dirt to stick to circuits and heatsinks causing electrical leakage and reduced heat transfer.

-Shutdown and turn the laptop over to shake out as much OJ as you can.
-Use a dry cotton cloth to wipe excess OJ from all surfaces inside and outside. Yes, disassembly is a must.
-Dampen another cotton cloth with isopropyl alcohol to wipe off all surfaces especially around the keyboard, fan, etc. Preferably you should flow isopropyl over all surfaces that are not sealed.
-Let the unit air dry at room temperature.

When you get the laptop working sell it quick because without compressed air and a hefty supply of isopropyl you will never get it clean.

Good luck.

PS Your day is going better than mine. I'm home 4 hours late because I fried a $100k unit at work today...

I was wondering where you were :p

Well, frankly I am too tired at the moment to do all of the above, I did not attempt to heat it up. I haven't done a complete dissasembly up yet because I am working on stuff from school. Like I mentioned previously I have done some clean up though.

I'll see if I can clean it up more tommorow, and I don't have any isopropyl either.

Btw, how did you manage to fry a 100K machine?

I use a powerful hair dryer , take apart everything that you can without breaking it of course and use a hair dryer.

I've sent you a PM, if you send me your service tag I can find out your Warranty Information.

I have Dell Premier Access through work, not sure if it works for home PCs but I'll try :)

LoctOut said:

Isopropyl alcohol = YES
QTIP = NO

go buy lint free cloths from any radio shack, best buy, compusa, you get the idea...

q-tips can work in a pinch, but if the coton ever gets very humid can act as a conductor...

if you have already used a qtip make sure you dont leave any pieces of lint from the qtip behind if at all possible...

Yeah guys I think the CPU and other stuff in there are dead. I put it back together this morning.

I smiled as I heard the fan and hard drive startup, the LEDs blinking brightly.

Then it went quiet. Its stays powered but I don't think it's getting a response from the CPU so it's like a vegetable.

Murphy's Law is a ****ing bitch. Just my luck that I **** up my laptop the night before a big project is due.

I was up all night re-doing a bunch of ****. 6 more hours at school, then I'll collapse in bed. Then I'll do a final thorough clean up with the complete dissasembly and hope that I can salvage something through the warranty.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back