Event Source: ACPI
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4
Date: 6/30/2003
Time: 5:16:09 PM
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (0x71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 52 00 ......R.
0008: 00 00 00 00 04 00 05 c0 .......À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

The computer locks up. No response at all. It seem to go with mouse movement. When I check the Event viewer this is the error it shows.
AMD 900 T-bird
Radeon 7000
512 Ram PC133

Found the following at Microsoft Help and Support:

CAUSE
This behavior may occur if your computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) tries to write to one of the earlier ports by using an AML [Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) Machine Language] System IO operation region. Your try may be blocked by Windows XP because accessing these ports by using this mechanism is deemed dangerous and can cause system instability. This feature is designed to improve the stability of your computer's operating system.
STATUS
This behavior is by design.

Contact the BIOS vendor for a possible BIOS update. For more information see the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/HWDEV/Onnow/BIOSAML.htm

Hmm... I'm not sure what to tell ya. I will read some more on this later today when I get some time. In the meantime maybe some others will have some info.

I actually had this exact issue when a stick of my RAM went bad. If you have multiple sticks I suggest you remove one and try it and then the other. If you do not have multiple sticks I suggest you try to find one to swap out as a test.

I have a few questions.

When did this error begin?
Which OS?
Did you add any new hardware?

It indead was the problem... You should never rule out anything.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
It indead was the problem... You should never rule out anything.

perhaps not but given that ACPI == power management setup... I can't for the life of me see how RAM will affect this...

there is an error in accessing memory allocation... perhaps it is due to bios error (or requiring an upgrade)...

I am with enyo on this matter though.. consider flashing your bios and see if this fixes the problem....

Hehe, it's MS Windows, anything can go wrong at anytime, displaying any type of error message that could be or could not be related to the actual problem. I though this was taught in MS Windows 101. :rolleyes:

This computer been running the same config for about a year now. I upgraded the bios to the lastest. Its a chaintech under another mobo name 8117C is the mobo .

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1

I have a few questions.

When did this error begin?
Which OS?
Did you add any new hardware?

The error started about 2 weeks ago
WinXP Sp1
No.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back