KC's Official Home Improvement Thread

We are getting double-pane vinyl windows too, they should be installed before Thanksgiving. Also ordered some thermal curtains, next is to replace the toilet and carpet.

So much $$$$$, so little time :(

Those of you following my electric radiant heat dream with baited breath ... (or is it bated?) ... here's the latest.

I finally found a contractor with some experience in this. He's done bathrooms. He estimates that the supplies at $10 sq/ft, plus $600 for each controller (and I'd want one in each of three rooms), plus labor, would put the radiant heating part of the project in the neighborhood of $17.000.

And I couldn't even walk on that. The laminate would be another $4-$5K.

I think I'll have cold feet.

OK so the windows are in as of awhile ago, such a big difference there.

February 16th I'm having an additional 16" of insulation put in the attic, there is also an entire wall in my kitchen that has no insulation in it.

Had to replace my water tank this past week as it was leaking and not working at all (fun!)

Bought all new thermostats last night as the ones we have are off by about ~18 degrees. Putting those in today

Just finished putting in a motion sensor light over the garage (mad cold out!)

Installing three ceiling fans next weekend which I need to get finished before the insulation guy comes.

Replacing the fan in the bathroom as well as patching the ceiling in there a bit (next weekend maybe too)

Replaced the toilet about a month ago. WEnt from a 1.25" opening to 2 and 3/8 :D Advertised as being able to flush an entire bucket of golfballs (no, haven't tried but want to - wife says no :( )

I'll post some pictures probably in the spring when I'm done with everything, but I'm broke and busy!!!

Replaced the toilet about a month ago. WEnt from a 1.25" opening to 2 and 3/8 :D Advertised as being able to flush an entire bucket of golfballs (no, haven't tried but want to - wife says no :( )

have a curry - if it flushes that in one go - all is good :p

Don't need much help in that department, I eat lots of fiber and protein :D

TMI!!!
bad.gif

OK so the windows are in as of awhile ago, such a big difference there.

February 16th I'm having an additional 16" of insulation put in the attic, there is also an entire wall in my kitchen that has no insulation in it.

Had to replace my water tank this past week as it was leaking and not working at all (fun!)

Bought all new thermostats last night as the ones we have are off by about ~18 degrees. Putting those in today

Just finished putting in a motion sensor light over the garage (mad cold out!)

Installing three ceiling fans next weekend which I need to get finished before the insulation guy comes.

Replacing the fan in the bathroom as well as patching the ceiling in there a bit (next weekend maybe too)

I'll post some pictures probably in the spring when I'm done with everything, but I'm broke and busy!!!

My heating bill was $80 last month (It has been Fing freezing) and most of the time is is around $50. Almost 3,000 Sq feet. With new windows in the basement and more insulation on the basement walls when I start finishing them I am hoping to save another 20%.

What are you paying?

Well it's hard to determine as we don't yet have much of a comparison, but our first full month in the house (October) our electric bill was about $80. We have electric heat, last month it was $385. This covers all appliances, the water tank, heating, etc.

There are som in-efficiences and leaks we are working to address. The water tank was on the fritz, the attic is pretty much a vacuum and the thermostats are out of whack. Once all that is resolved, I expect/hope for a big difference.

Ouch.

I felt bad that for the first time since I started my project my utility bill was over $200 for the month.

Electric
Water
Sewer
Trash
Gas (Heating/water heater)
And all the little fuzzy bills they charge.

Before I started the average utility bill was over $300 for the winters.

We pay $90 a year for trash pickup, but they are actually doing away with that in June (woo!)

Also after we are here for a year we can do a budget with the electric company which will do an average of our bill for 12 months. With that at least we can plan, as it's been like $80/$210/$385 the last few :(

tell your wife you need to huddle together to save warmth and money ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back