KC's Official Home Improvement Thread

kcnychief

??? ??? ?
Political Access
So it's official, Erica and I moved into our house this past Friday (I'll post some pics soon). The house was built in 1988, in pretty good shape all things considered, just a few things here and there we would like to do to "spice it up". I wanted to start this thread as I am obviously new to home ownership, perhaps bounce some ideas off of those of you who are a bit more experienced and have learned some dos and dont's you wouldn't mind sharing.

I'll put together a list of things I want to do probably later today or tomorrow, but I thought this would be a cool idea since we don't really have a thread like this. I know it's a tech forum, but tech people are usually creative, handy and innovative and I'd be interested to hear about what you guys may/may not have done to your homes.

If this thread seems to take off, perhaps we can make it a Sticky and change it to the official "OSNN Home Improvement Thread" - I'd be willing to "give it up" lol.

More soon...

1988, wow thats verging on a historic monument over there isn't it? ;p

At least prices are cheap over there hehe. At the rate out housing market is going I'll never be able to afford to buy one!

I offer daily prayers in the hope of the UK suffering a housing market crash :p There's even a bottle of champagne on ice...

Anyway, good luck with your improvement KC, must be a cool feeling to have your own house to do up as you please. I hope it all goes well!

Haha. The first (and so far only :p) house that we bought when we were in Minnesota was from the 60s.

From my own experience in doing some home improvement on your own... I have three words for you Derek:

It's a bitch.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time going back and forth to Home Depot. Be prepared for inevitable over use injuries (I got some wrist tendinitis from painting and sanding for hours and hours)... and most importantly... it will take a lot of time and effort. So be prepared for that.

I know it's a tech forum, but tech people are usually creative, handy and innovative and I'd be interested to hear about what you guys may/may not have done to your homes.
In other words, we tend to hack and kludge .. you want that with the house you're living in? :)

At least prices are cheap over there hehe. At the rate out housing market is going I'll never be able to afford to buy one!
Cheap is a relative term depending on where you live. Housing in my neighborhood will run you $400,000+ for a 900Sq/ft ranch home. Drive 40 minutes south, and that same house will cost half that. Go 30 minutes east into the City, and that house would cost $600,000+.
So.. what does that make my 1950's special?

Hey I live near Stonehenge and that place doesn't even have windows!

My new fridge and deep freeze wil be here next week. Pur water filtration for my ice and water. No more Brita pitchers.

Gonna take out my old chimney, make a bit more room in the kitchen, plus it is leaking water back in.

Cheap is a relative term depending on where you live. Housing in my neighborhood will run you $400,000+ for a 900Sq/ft ranch home. Drive 40 minutes south, and that same house will cost half that. Go 30 minutes east into the City, and that house would cost $600,000+.

So.. what does that make my 1950's special?

My 70's house was around 70,000.00 for 1500 Sq/ft.

lol.. go away ejin :) :p

Come to Chicago and see how much "house" 70,000 will buy you! :)

$70k is only a down over here.

We bought 1500 sq. for 225K, right before the market took off. Now it is worth a hell of alot more than that.

112K for 3100Sq Ft of crap. 14K of upgrades later it still looks like crap. But it is coming together. Another 10-15K and it will be awesome.

I do live in a small town in south west Iowa. that is why it is that cheap.

Looks like we are going to be buying our first house next year woot

First relatively major project to kickoff next week.

Went to take the A/C out of the window in the kitchen, oh so nicely left behind by our previous owners. Imagine my surprise when the intelligent individuals actually disposed of the entire bottom half of the window, and it's no where to be found!

So, I scurried to Home Depot and ordered 4 new windows, double-pane, aragon gas, top-notch Energy Savers. Can we saw Tax Rebate?

:cool:

Have fun, I am working on landscaping around the foundation. Loads of fun.

First relatively major project to kickoff next week.

Went to take the A/C out of the window in the kitchen, oh so nicely left behind by our previous owners. Imagine my surprise when the intelligent individuals actually disposed of the entire bottom half of the window, and it's no where to be found!

So, I scurried to Home Depot and ordered 4 new windows, double-pane, aragon gas, top-notch Energy Savers. Can we saw Tax Rebate?

:cool:

I've never sawed a tax rebate before but I think it can be done.

:smoker:

Last edited:
Did you hire them put in? Or are you going to tackle it?

I'm going to hire this one out, but I will definitely be watching/learning.

I did some research online and it doesn't seem too bad, but I want to make sure it gets done right and the install cost is pretty fair. Besides, it includes haul off and all that good stuff.

I'd like to tag along here ... I'm moving (back) into a 900 sqft condo in the next 2 months and trying to prioritize work ... without a salary (ick).

I'm thinking that the crucial item to be done *before* furniture gets moved in is the floors. The cream colored carpet is 10+ years old and has seen a steady stream of cats and, most recently, a little old dog.

I *know* I want new floors. And I think I want laminate ... it would be nice to sweep up animal hair instead of vacuum incessantly. And it would keep boycat from chewing up all the corners.

I've also heard that I can get radiant heating under the floors, which would be *heaven*.

Now, do I want that floor throughout? Or still stay with lino in the kitchen and bathroom?

Next on the list is new windows (double-pane, vinyl) ... but I can imagine moving furniture to the middle of the room at some point next summer ... same with painting.

Anyway, KC ... how's your wall replacement coming along?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back