Kaspersky false alarm quarantines Windows Explorer

Dark Atheist

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
A faulty signature update from Kaspersky Lab on Wednesday flagged up Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) as infected with a low-risk virus, Huhk-C. As a result the core Windows component was quarantined or worse.

Kaspersky released a revised update alongside advice on how to recover legitimate system and application files from quarantine (the default setting) within two hours. But that's not much consolation for users that had set their software to auto-delete infected files, who found themselves with hosed systems.

Source
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/12/20/kaspersky_false_alarm/

Ouch. I was doing a bit of gaming for the past two days... guess I lucked out since I had it turned off.

I noticed Kaspersky's HTTP monitor crashes tcp.sys or whatever it is if you're gaming. will probably swap back over to nod32

Obviously, we at Symantec have been watching the situation with Kaspersky. For those of you who haven't considered Norton lately - maybe it's time to take the Norton Challenge and check out the improvements we've made! Check this out -- http://www.takethenortonchallenge.com/ This site shows you the enhancements we've made to our performance. Give it a try, there's a money back guarantee!

Jean (from Symantec)

I'm using the free 6 month trial of Kav 7 suite... haven't had any issues with it.... yet
I used 4.x series for a few years and swore by it.

Obviously, we at Symantec have been watching the situation with Kaspersky. For those of you who haven't considered Norton lately - maybe it's time to take the Norton Challenge and check out the improvements we've made! Check this out -- http://www.takethenortonchallenge.com/ This site shows you the enhancements we've made to our performance. Give it a try, there's a money back guarantee!

Jean (from Symantec)
jean, am hoping this is not a cut and paste from you but an actual post, if so, good to see you here, are you saying norton doesn't bog the computer down anymore and has as small a resource footprint as the other av's?

Norton.... no thanks. If I had a dollar for every machine that I had to replace norton with something else.
(although if Norton had a 6 month free trial, fully usable package, and if others claim that they have cleaned their act up... then I might consider testing it :) )

Norton.... no thanks. If I had a dollar for every machine that I had to replace norton with something else.
(although if Norton had a 6 month free trial, fully usable package, and if others claim that they have cleaned their act up... then I might consider testing it :) )
according to the add jean posted, it is not bloated anymore, click on the add, makes me want to give it a go

like you, I'm not going to buy it and then request my money back, if there's a trial period I'm gonna do it

Yeah, I checked out the link.... 15 days isn't much of a trial period.

I have found Kaspersky 7 uses less then even Nod32.

Found a review of Symantec:
The bad: The Norton Internet Security 2008 interface is ghastly, the suite itself can slow your computer to a crawl, its feature set doesn't integrate well, and Symantec is once again offering fee-based services under the guise of technical support.

The bottom line: While Symantec's protection is solid, the overall user experience within Norton Internet Security 2008 could be much, much better. Not all the features work together, and the program could use fewer system resources. We can also do without the addition of paid services within the technical support section

Source

Does Norton use less then this?

Kaspersky 7

Attachments

• kavuse.jpg
    kavuse.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 205
guess i might have to give it a look over - im in the market for new av - it play nice with xp and vista ?

My comments regarding KAV causing a BSOD in the tcp.sys driver came after it bsod'd XP64 3 times when I tried to launch Everquest 2, Vanguard SOH and Pirates of the burning sea beta. As soon as I disabled its HTTP monitoring the games launched without crashing.

jean, am hoping this is not a cut and paste from you but an actual post, if so, good to see you here, are you saying norton doesn't bog the computer down anymore and has as small a resource footprint as the other av's?

Guess the overwhelming lack of response leads me to conclude your 1st guess was right perris ;) :laugh:

I've been working Technical Support for an ISP here, and I've seen nothing but trouble from Norton. At least, in the off-the-shelf-for-regular-people version. I like their corporate edition, which has a smaller footprint, and has a much nicer layout.

Also, I hope they've fixed their problem with their firewall shutting of people's connections. I've seen that literally hundreds of times.

If they've fixed the firewall issue and their footprint is smaller, I'd be willing to give it a go.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back