Just built Computer questions....

One Armed Bandit

OSNN Junior Addict
Hello everyone...and thanks before hand for any questions answered here. I just built my first machine and all went smooth. Here's a little background before the questions:

I have one Hard Drive on this machine connected to the Primary IDE as a master. I have two opticals, one cd-burner and one dvd-burner connected to the Secondary IDE with the DVD as master and CD as slave.

Question 1: Is this a correct configuration...does anyone see any problems with this or can you offer up a better configuration?

Question 2: What is the correct boot order sequence that I should have running? Currently I have the sequence in this order - Floppy, DVD, CD. Is this a correct configuration...does anyone see any problems with this or can you offer up a better configuration?

Thanks everyone!

Q 1 is fine m8.

Q 2 to install, i have cd then hdd
after install i set it to boot from the hard drive only and disable the others. you can always change them when needed.

I agree with gonzo..

for boot sequency.. just set it up for hdd only :)

IF the computer has problems you can go back to bios and change it do cd rom/floppy/hdd to troubleshoot and what not..

I also agree that setting your computer to boot right off the hard drive is the best thing to do. It will allow your computer to boot faster since it doesn't have to search for bootable floppies or cds. If you do need to boot from a floppy or cd, just go back in the BIOS and change the boot order, and then change it back when you're done.

As for your first question: If you want to copy files from your CD drive to your hard drive, pick the CD drive that you would mainly be using, and connect it to the Primary IDE chain as slave. Make sure your other CD drive is set as master on the Secondary IDE chain. It will make file copying just a bit faster. I hope this helps.

Thank You

Danke everyone. And I will make this change and should be all set:

"As for your first question: If you want to copy files from your CD drive to your hard drive, pick the CD drive that you would mainly be using, and connect it to the Primary IDE chain as slave. Make sure your other CD drive is set as master on the Secondary IDE chain. It will make file copying just a bit faster. I hope this helps."

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back