Just bought a PS3... Now what to do with it?

lancer

There is no answer!
Political Access
Ok just bought this thing, almost as much as a full upgrade for a pc after the console and two games.

Got Lost (meh) and Uncharted (good). So far i'm not blown away. I guess if you play hi res on a pc this really doesn't impress you graphics wise.

so any suggestions on games or cool stuff i can do to it.

Folding, Talledega Nights. Now that Blu-Ray has one the format war, you can really expect to see more success out of the PS3 within six months.

Buy Planet Earth on Blu-Ray. It's fantastic on stardard dvd. HD is simply stunning.

I'll tell you something.

Get Sudoku, it's one of the downloads for the game.

That thing is sooooo addictive. There is also this little game that uses the Six Axis controller, with Ducks, also addictive. And a game that reminds me of Asteroids but played to music. The more stuff you blow up, the more the music changes and it's also very trippy and addictive :D

I have found the the little arcade games to be more addictive than anything else.

I am personally waiting for the Shock controllers to debut, along with Gran Tourismo 5. My logitech Momo is eagerly awaiting said game so I can drive around n stuff :smoker:

Ratchet and Clank is a good game for the ps3 btw. If you are playing on a 1080P tv, even the Gran Tourismo demo is pretty awesome :D

Try out some of the downloads and high-def content and see if you like it. I personally am still working on hooking up all my junk to my 42" tv I got (impulse purchase, saw a decent deal on a tele, grabbed it). Will be done this weekend.

First off, here is a list of the must have games available now
my opinion

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Assassin's Creed
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Burnout Paradise
Resistance
Ratchet and Clank

must have out soon:

Grand Theft Auto IV
Wipeout HD
Haze
Metal Gear Solid 4
Soulcalibur IV
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
God of War 3
Army of Two
Resistance 2
Killzone 2

as far as Blu-Ray
Yes The BBC version of Planet Earth is better than the US version. make sure it the BBC.

and Fold away Lancer :)

I'm playing Uncharted Drake's Fortune now and I'm very disappointed with the game. I'm looking for something else to play when i finish uncharted...probably resistance or Army of Two.

As for the Blu-Ray Planet Earth...it is amazing!!!!, I am wondering though if the BBC version is full 1080P because the US version is 1080I.

I get HD Planet earth and HD blue planet on demand with cable TV :)

yeah the us version has sigourney weaver narrating, now whilst i like her, how the **** could you replace david attenborough.

also i actually like uncharted, i think its a pretty good game i'd give it an 85%.

First off, here is a list of the must have games available now
my opinion

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare played on the pc, one of the best games i have ever played imo
Assassin's Creed really wanted to play this, but the amount of negative press i have heard, regarding the same stuff over and over.. put me off.
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion played on pc, this is so open ended that as a game i found it almost pointless as a game, but as an experience, none is equal.
Ninja Gaiden Sigma ahh, this likes like putrid tripe warmed up. if it was truly a ninja game i'd love it, but kiddy action, nah
Burnout Paradise not really into arcade racers, prefer sims, unless this is a sim.. is it... i dont know, why ask me?
Resistance played it, thought it was so freakin bad... not bad good but bad like stinking dog ****. you cant even shot windows out properly or leave shot marks or really interact with the environment at all
Ratchet and Clank looks amazing and will be my next purchase, but again i heard it was about 10 hours worth of gameplay, far too short for $60.

must have out soon:

Grand Theft Auto IV one of the reasons for the ps3 purchase, absolutely cannot wait
Wipeout HD what is this?
Haze what i've seen, it looks ok
Metal Gear Solid 4 played the first one on the ps1, really want to see the evolution..
Soulcalibur IV the best fighting series of all time imo
Gran Turismo 5 Prologue cannot wait
God of War 3 never looked really appealing...
Army of Two looks ok, via the reviews and screenies.
Resistance 2 will it be any better?
Killzone 2 never played the first, are these good?

as far as Blu-Ray
Yes The BBC version of Planet Earth is better than the US version. make sure it the BBC. absolute must have

and Fold away Lancer i am less inclined with my ps3 now as it had the fan on full for an hour last night, but i think having it in an enclosed space in my cabinet doesn't help. :)

Last edited:
1080p should be sufficient for most mortals.

I have the PS3 for pretty much just BluRay and exclusives. Most multiplatform games I prefer the 360.

A few things I would do, buy some BluRay titles. Some games, I personally go through the Gamespot top games and just go through the games there.

I would recommend signing up for Gamefly or some sort of rental service. I've used Gamefly, but their shipping centers, all three of them seemed to be located to make them strategically the farthest away possible from me (MN). They have a shipping center in Florida though, so you'd probably get your games overnight, just like I do with Netflix who has a shipping center in Minneapolis. Now I've signed up with Gameznflix. 3 out at a time for less than $20 as opposed to GF's 2 at a time for a round $22. You can also rent Bluray movies the same way you rent games at Gameznflix. The only caveat is that the game titles aren't as big as GF, but that doesn't matter to me since at 3 at a time, I usually am still playing a game before I move on to the new ones.

If you decide to sign up for Gameznflix, tell me your e-mail add for apparently a 1 month free subscription, and a I get 1 month free. woot!

Oh yeah, turn on folding on your PS3 and join the folding team. :)

Last edited:
1080p should be sufficient for most mortals.

I have the PS3 for pretty much just BluRay and exclusives. Most multiplatform games I prefer the 360.

A few things I would do, buy some BluRay titles. Some games, I personally go through the Gamespot top games and just go through the games there.

I would recommend signing up for Gamefly or some sort of rental service. I've used Gamefly, but their shipping centers, all three of them seemed to be located to make them strategically the farthest away possible from me (MN). They have a shipping center in Florida though, so you'd probably get your games overnight, just like I do with Netflix who has a shipping center in Minneapolis. Now I've signed up with Gameznflix. 3 out at a time for less than $20 as opposed to GF's 2 at a time for a round $22. You can also rent Bluray movies the same way you rent games at Gameznflix. The only caveat is that the game titles aren't as big as GF, but that doesn't matter to me since at 3 at a time, I usually am still playing a game before I move on to the new ones.

If you decide to sign up for Gameznflix, tell me your e-mail add for apparently a 1 month free subscription, and a I get 1 month free. woot!

Oh yeah, turn on folding on your PS3 and join the folding team. :)

well that was a horrible experience, i went to sign up for Gameznflix, and signed up for the trial, but lo and behold in order to actually rent what i wanted i had to pay up front for the full subscription, so there isn't even a real trial. man that pisses me off..... thanks anyway.

Star Dust HD is the astroids type of game its pretty addictive. Its a download off the PSN network for $9.99.

just downloaded the demo version, i think i played it on the 360 at one stage.

is home live yet?

also are there any free games to download off the ps3 store?

2nd vote for Super Stardust HD.

Ratchet & Clank is quite well done.

I loved Portal in The Orange Box, though if you have a PC or 360 you'll want one of those versions of The Orange Box.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back