Just a Windows XP pro security Q

-seek-

OSNN Addict
Hi guys, I have a folder with my artwork in it and I made it off limits to other users on this machine. But If I were to format Windows Pro XP off my main HD would I be able to access the folder with another operating system or even if I were to reinstall windows pro? I’m guessing if you could access it again you would have to create an account in windows with the same Administrated name??

BTW the folder is on a secondary hard drive.

Any replies I would very thankful for. :)

Always best to leave the Administrator / <machine name>/Administrators group in there, at least the latter may well be a static SID as it is a system account (can't remember if you can delete administrator or just disable it off the top of my head)

EP is right, when you format, all accounts, even if they have the same name as the old ones recieve a new SID and therefore useless when trying to access a private folder. Give the administrator rights to it and you should be ok.

I'll echo the others. I've had first-hand experience with this, and so you know, it's a pain to get access to a restricted folder after reformatting or installing a new OS -- unless you give Admin rights to the folder.

Easy way. Right click folder, properties. Give 'Everyone' full access.
Reinstall Windows, and reverse the process, leaving yourself with full access to the folder.

Really easy way: Burn the folder to a CD.

If you mess up, then we move into Linux hallowed ground with NTFS access.

Let us know how it turns out !!

PHP:

lol was about to say this if you cant get it in windows just use a liv cd thatmounts your hardives. (knoppix 3.8.1) worsk really well. Use it to bypass that crap all the time on the work machines. Now if they only made one for bypassing senior administrators...

VenomXt said:
PHP:

lol was about to say this if you cant get it in windows just use a liv cd thatmounts your hardives. (knoppix 3.8.1) worsk really well. Use it to bypass that crap all the time on the work machines. Now if they only made one for bypassing senior administrators...

Knoppix sometimes does it - but Bit Defender is what you really want for full control of NTFS. I've had some luck with Knoppix... but the all important 'write' access only works well with Bit Defender :) (in my humble experience of course)

Another thanks, though not a predicament I plan on getting myself in again.

Lets just say that I had Windows 2000 since beta 3. I got myself in a bit of trouble with the encrypted filesystem... I encrypted the files containing my financial data. As can often happen with a beta OS, I did have to reload, and didn't bother to deal with the folder. I tried all kinds stuff to get access to the data after the fact (though I don't remember Knoppix being an option back then). All said, going in as Admin and taking ownership over the file, everything didn't work. I, well lost it :eek:

Since then I've been doubly careful about even using the thing... Good to know, in case I ever run into a system that's in the same predicament again.

I always keep a BartPE CD on hand as I can transfer files to another drive or burn them to DVD with Nero.

Son Goku said:
Another thanks, though not a predicament I plan on getting myself in again.

Lets just say that I had Windows 2000 since beta 3. I got myself in a bit of trouble with the encrypted filesystem... I encrypted the files containing my financial data. As can often happen with a beta OS, I did have to reload, and didn't bother to deal with the folder. I tried all kinds stuff to get access to the data after the fact (though I don't remember Knoppix being an option back then). All said, going in as Admin and taking ownership over the file, everything didn't work. I, well lost it :eek:

Since then I've been doubly careful about even using the thing... Good to know, in case I ever run into a system that's in the same predicament again.

I don't think even knoppix or bit defender could get into 'encrypted' files and directories - just access non-encrypted NTFS systems.

American Zombie said:
I always keep a BartPE CD on hand as I can transfer files to another drive or burn them to DVD with Nero.

American Zombie, thank you for that link.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back