Johnny Cochran Dies at age 67 ...

I'm not arguing that he was a saint? no he was a lawyer, and in this world that condemns him outright.
This justice system is built on money, money buys you justice, and you are pissed at him because someone with enough money, OJ,
finally had enough money to buy justice?

Where is your rant against, the social injustice where people with out adequate representation go guilty, because they do not have an adequate defense.
What? There are no innocent people in prison, Wow this number might be smaller than the population in prison, but then why are people getting cases overturned to new DNA evidence that was not available before.
Why did the Governor of the State of Illinoios issue a moratorium on the death penalty.
If you dont know about the cases he took for little or no money, than you dont know.
Like the family of a social activist who was found hung in a jail cell with a ceiling of 7 ft. The person in question was 5'3"
In a perfect world our legal system would work the way it was designed, and money would not give people a valid defense, but that is not the way it works.
So you want me to be pissed at him because you think OJ is guilty, get over it
he did his job, he was good, your anger should be at the legal system, at the prosecutors who badly bungled this case.
So he got more guilty people off? You know this for a fact?
If all you know of him is OJ, than that is your ignorance...
may you never need a lawyer, even a good one.

falconguard said:
I'm not arguing that he was a saint? no he was a lawyer, and in this world that condemns him outright.
This justice system is built on money, money buys you justice, and you are pissed at him because someone with enough money, OJ,
finally had enough money to buy justice?

Where is your rant against, the social injustice where people with out adequate representation go guilty, because they do not have an adequate defense.
What? There are no innocent people in prison, Wow this number might be smaller than the population in prison, but then why are people getting cases overturned to new DNA evidence that was not available before.
Why did the Governor of the State of Illinoios issue a moratorium on the death penalty.
If you dont know about the cases he took for little or no money, than you dont know.
Like the family of a social activist who was found hung in a jail cell with a ceiling of 7 ft. The person in question was 5'3"
In a perfect world our legal system would work the way it was designed, and money would not give people a valid defense, but that is not the way it works.
So you want me to be pissed at him because you think OJ is guilty, get over it
he did his job, he was good, your anger should be at the legal system, at the prosecutors who badly bungled this case.
So he got more guilty people off? You know this for a fact?
If all you know of him is OJ, than that is your ignorance...
may you never need a lawyer, even a good one.

I know of him because of his "Black Power" attitude, and malcomx wantabe stance. I seen him on Larry King a couple of times also, he was always spouting about the ways of the white going against the black man, he felt we owed him, and he was going to do anything in his power to always remind us of history and how we should give him back what we took. You said it yourself, he helped a social activist for little or no money, I wonder why that is ?? Maybe because she was black, and he was fighting for her cause, more than likely he thought of that as a case of race as well. Maybe you should check with things ,, there is more about him than you know ..

""...s an innocent man, I'd rether go through our process then any other...this system is designed to try and make sure innocent men are not convicted...

...at the expense of some guilty being set free?"

agreed. there are many things that could be done to make the system better, any system. but it does work fairly well. i too would rather go through our system then any other. if setting a small number of guilties free would mean setting 10x that number of innocent men free also... thats fine with me.

innocent men in prison, or guilty man free.
the lesser of two evils.

that social activist was not black, he was hispanic, and yes I know.
He believed society owed black people in general for years of biased legal system.
Isn't it funny that most of the people in prsion are minorities, poor minorities. Their representation in prison, outnumbers their representation in society. Why is that? you mean Race has nothing at all to do with the legal system? but yet,you cannot explain discrepancies like that?
Maybe, you dont want to know...that is fine...to each their own. But at least he was active enough to bring something about race to your attention.
bury your head in the sand, and ignore social injustice...it does not affect you.

You don't get put in jail because of the color of your skin man, you get put in because of the crime you commit. There has always been a "I am black, so you are prosecuting me because of that" type of attitude. And everyone in prison, even the WHITE man. So get out of your skin and look at things. Depending on where the prison will depend on how many white people and black people are there. In Big cities, like LA for example you will find more black people in prisons than whites because MORE BLACK PEOPLE LIVE THERE THAN WHITES !! There is always someone who calls out racist when something happens to a colored man. Cochran screamed it very loud.

Maybe I will bury my head in the sand, I know what he was like and I won't defend him. I hated the man, I will always hate the man, he was a schmuck. Now maybe he can try and free Beelzebub, for he is burning in hell as we speak.

Geronimo Pratt, got put away for 27 years and did not commit a crime.
Oh wait, I thought you said people go to prison, because they committed a crime.
obviously , you don't live in LA

nice Johnny! agree.

here, just looked this up. in referance to more minorities in prosons:

Levenworth:
INMATES BY RACE:
White: 91,925 (56.2%);
Black: 66,410 (40.6%);
Asian: 2,526 (1.6%);
Native American: 2,632 (1.6%)

and
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/glance/tables/cpracetab.htm

Adults under correctional supervision
by race, 1986-97
Number of adults in prison or jail, or on probation or parole

Year White Black Other
1986 2,090,100 1,117,200 32,100
1987 2,192,200 1,231,100 36,300
1988 2,348,600 1,325,700 39,800
1989 2,521,200 1,489,000 45,400
1990 2,665,500 1,632,700 49,800
1991 2,742,400 1,743,300 49,900
1992 2,835,900 1,873,200 53,500
1993 2,872,200 2,011,600 60,200
1994 3,058,000 2,018,000 65,300
1995 3,220,900 2,024,000 90,200
1996 3,294,800 2,083,600 104,500
1997 3,429,000 2,149,900 113,600

seems to me that the whites have it! infact, almost by 50%

the hispanics didnt even commit enough crimes to get their own column.
3.4 million whites/113,600 'other' that means if the 'other' were 100% hispanic, they have a ratio of about 29:1 whites to hispanic.
yea, its from 1997, but i dont think all of a sudden white stopped comiting crimes in 1998 and hispanic went crazy. could have changed that much except for the over all number of inmates

ok in real life people do get convicter in some areas of america based on their skin color, or could be be certain minorities just commit more crimes?

I'm not saying more blacks simply go to jail, but more blacks are probably convicted and sent to jail for the same crime a white man would probably get off for.

they only way you get more 'minorities' in prison is if you stack all the minorites into one group and then compair that to whites, but in doing so, dont you make whites the minority?

asian+black+hispanic+whatever else comes down the line : white

that not right either. thats putting a hard slant on raw facts.

numbers can be stacked to look anyway someone wants it to look

ElectrickPirate, those are federal numbers, from leavenworth, pull the numbers from Marion. Ill, or Rahway, NJ. for a better fit pull state demographics.

ok 40% for blacks, what is the population ratio for blacks in all the U.s what 22%
why the huge difference?
Lancer, yes it does happen, in 1982 Ronald Reagan issued the crack cocaine edict. Crack became a felony level offense, whereas cocaine in the same quantity was left untouched. Why the edict on crack and not cocaine?
seems to me a drug is a drug, different form, same drug. why the discrepancy?
here is a better one to add to your list
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cpus97.pdf

What I am saying lance is that the color of your skin does not affect what kind of crime you did. I bet you didn't know that their are more black lawyers, and black cops, and black patrol agents of anything coming from the CIA to the FBI did you ??

If you commit the crime you will be punished for it. Yes there are instances where someone innocent gets shafted, but that is rare. (And no Flaconguard, OJ IS GUILTY !). People just seem to feel that the white man gets more special treatment than a black man. What do you do when the black man gets tried and convicted by people of his own color ?? Cry Reverse Racist ??

@Electrickpirate - I like that , it proves my point exactley ..

i pulled federal prison numbers becuase federal inmates are from all over the country, making those numbers less infuenced by a region that might have a high population of a certain race.

i would assume that there are more blacks in prison in mississippi than in montana.

only a guess on the crack/cocaine edict:
but maybe crack was/is more previlent(sp?) maybe more ppl were on crack then cocaine. and IF that was the case, then crack was a bigger problem.

dont know about you, but in my life i deal with the biggest problems first. my mortgage gets paid before i buy beer.

falcon cant tell if your agreeing with me or dis-agreeing?! :)

If you look at it though, you will find that depending on the area of the country will depend on the stats .. Levenworth just happens to have more whites than blacks, plus it is a federal prison - not a maximum, medium, or low security prison

i assumed levenworth was max sec. i mean, you steal a car, you dont nec. go to leven. i could be wrong, and prob am. but like i said, i chose leven cuz of how easy it would and was to get its stat, and becuse its population is less infuenced by race since its population is from everywhere in the country, not an area that has a specificly high number of a certain race.

I am agreeing with you Lancer
yes it does happen Johnny, in that one instance and in others, our court system was built on the premise that better an guilty man go free, than an innocent man go to jail.

As for the population in general , what is the genreal population of all blacks in the UNited states? what maybe 20%, but yet they make up almost 40% of the population in prison. Would'nt a respresentative sample be even across all of society? why is it that it is not?

Electric you are correct with your stats the problem with them is that most people that dont goto jail do so because they are able to cut deals with prosecutors...

As for you falconguard... LOOK... the SYSTEM isnt to blame for more blacks than whites going to jail... the SYSTEM didnt make the same people seeking "adequate representation" commit those crimes... the PEOPLE did... and Im not arguing that $$ doesnt purchase you a good attorney. I KNOW it does, Im just saying he was more morally corrupt than even the most perverted of attorneys....

not that, that is saying much...

Heh

to reiterate... dont blame the system blame the PEOPLE...

I wont post to this thread again you people argue Im done...

<--- sticks fork in self...

as for federal vs. state populations:

Comparing Federal and State prison inmates

* In 1997, Federal inmates were more likely than State inmates to be

-- women (7% vs. 6%)
-- Hispanic (27% vs. 17%)
-- age 45 or older (24% vs. 13%)
-- with some college education (18% vs. 11%)

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/crimoff.htm#feds

this actually shows more minorities in Fed than in states(all states) not that the number of ppl in Fed was higher, but that the ratio of race compairison was higher, so, the numbers i posted earlier for Levenworth were probably higher in minorities than the average state prison. not average stte prison in mississippi, or georga, or montana or alaska, but just high as to any particular state in general

ok, now this is just census info, nothing to do with prison, but it says that there are 234,196,357 whites in the US and only 37,098,946 black. i would think that that would also mean that the prison pop. should be about 1 black man for every 6 whites. thats clearly not how it is.

is the system perfect? no, it's not. but it works in my opinion better than any other. the fact that it is imperfect shouldn't be a big hang up. we ourselves are imperfect, and therefore are probably incapable of creating anything perfect, nothing we have created has ever been perfect, be it a machine or a system. our legal system is some 200 years old. in that 200 some years we have tied consistantly to make it better, which i feel we have. it has its flaws and always will.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back