JERKY GRAPHICS

T

tprime

Ok, I'll try to be as brief as possible but this may get long. I want everyone to have all the info on this.

I'm experiencing problems playing games. My screen is not smooth and flowing, but very jerky, like a slight pause every few seconds. 3 weeks ago my crappy compaq died on me. I did not experience this problem on my compaq. I thought this would be a great opportunity for me to build my first computer, which I've wanted to do for awhile. While I wait for my parts to be delivered I went to best buy and picked up a sony vaio desktop p4 system 2.4 ghz. 14 day return policy why not, can't go without a computer right? I started experiencing this problem with this system, now keep in mind I still have my same video card and sound card, monitor.... just the desktop is different. Built my system took the sony back....Still have the same problem.
Here are some facts and things I've tried:
1. I still score 9500+ in mad onions 3d mark(screen is jerky in that too)
2. This problem is not a flickering problem the screen actually pauses briefly, I've adjusted the refresh rate and it still happens looks different and it happens at different speeds between 60 hz and 100 hz)
3. I've tried the 2 latest drivers from Nvidia
4. I've reinstalled my old Radeon 7200 (Jerky is still there)
5. I've uninstalled my soundblaster audigy
6. I can't find any drivers for my compaq FS740 crt monitor
7. Running directx diagnostics turns up nothing, altought the tests with the bouncing white box is jerky too.

Thats all I can think of right now. I feel like I've narrowed it down to the monitor, but I would like some input before I go out and buy a new one, better yet I'd like to be able to fix this.
Specs are below

It's not the monitor, it's a software problem. Graphics drivers, other driver, DirectX, you name it. Could be many things. But it's not the monitor.

I've seen this problem before but I can't remember any good solution.

Found this...

Stop J-E-R-K-Y graphics
Sometimes, there may be problems with graphics when playing 3D games. Also, there may be high System resource usage when idle. If you are connected to LAN and have difficulties with this, the solution below may be the choice for you.
Halting Jerky Graphics:

Right-click on "My Computer" and select 'Manage'
Click on "Device Manager"
Double-click on your NIC under Network Adapters
In this window, select the 'Advanced' tab.
Select "Connection Type" (also may be 'Media Type')and manually set the value of your NIC.
Reboot

also this users info.....

I've been having a consistent problem when gaming. Whenever I enable the sound in my games I'll have moments where the game will freeze for a second or 2 and than unfreeze. When I disable all the sound I do not have this problem at all.

also from me...go into (run)dxdiag then to the sound tab and turn hardware sound acceleration down...or even off,then try again.

Check you BIOS settings, have a read here to see what I mean....

Let us know..........:D

Tried all of your suggestions. I set my bios setting to the ones in the pny link, which is good because my gforce 4 ti 4400 is a pny card. I turned my hardware sound acceleration down/off. I could try to flash my bios soyo has about 4 different ones available for my mobo, I have to read up on that though, never done it. I'm not connected to a lan, but I've even unplugged my cable modem and I manually set my NIC. Here are some things I will try.
1. Some more Drivers from Nvidia
2. A different bios

I just find it odd, that I score well In Mad Onions 3d mark, but looking at the screen myself I would not think that I would recieve a good score. I also find it odd that I did not experience this on my old compaq with the 1.1 ghz amd, but I have experienced the problem with a P4 2.4 ghz system and now my AMD athlon xp 2400. If only my computer could talk and tell me what to do to make it happy.....some day.

Ok, I've tried all the archived nvidia drivers and nothing yet, next I'll try a new bios.
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

There is one (obscure) problem not yet mentioned namely that the signal from your graphics card to the monitor has some sort of problem. This is usually to do with the sync signal on the “green” (colour) wire if you are using a fifteen pin VGA connector.
Are you using one of these connectors?

:)

Also, do you have anything running in the background that may be taking a lot of resources? Check in you task manager and see if anything (other than system idle) is using your cpu. Just a thought.

My connector is 13 pins directly to the video card, interesting suggestion. I guess the only way for me to test would be hooking up another monitor.

No programs running in the background.
I disabled my NIC and my ethernet connection still no results.
I'm currently going through soyo's forums looking for related topics.

You say that you have adjusted your refresh rate. Which different settings have you tried? Also, what info do you have on the monitor? (i.e. make , model, size, etc.)

I have tried 60 hz- 100 hz. The monitor is a compaq fs740 21 inch , 16 inch viewable.

Sorry, I did notice you had the refresh rates in your first post. One other thing, at what resolution are you playing? I know these are standard questions, it just might be easier to track down the problem with them answered.

OK. Everything sounds as if it should work properly. I am out for a while but with all that info, someone might have some more ideas. If I come up with something, I'll be sure to post it here. Good luck.

First off I think that the Compac FS740 is a 17” monitor not 21” with a maximum resolution of 1280 x 1024 specs are below: -

Compaq FS740 17" Monitor

COMPAQ PRESARIO FS740
Compaq P/N - 180407-002
UPC - 720591437879

Dimensions & Weights (H x W x D)
Unit: ................................. 17.7" x 17.9" x 16.4" (41.8 lbs.)
Package: ............................. 23.2" x 24.6" x 22.4" ( 52.8 lbs.)
Monitor Type: ...................................... Color, multi-frequency
flat screen, anti-glare, anti-reflective
Monitor Chassis: .................................. 70 kHz digital controls
Monitor Color: ..................................................... Quartz
Picture Tube: ...................................... 17" flat screen, color
Viewable Image Area: ................................................ 16.0"
Dot Pitch: .............................................. 0.26 mm dot pitch
Display Resolutions: ............. 1280 x 1024 / 60 Hz (maximum resolution)
1024 x 768 / 85 Hz (max flicker-free)
1024 x 768 / 75 and 60 Hz
800 x 600 / 85, 75 and 60 Hz
720 x 400 / 70 Hz
640 x 480 / 85 and 60 Hz
640 x 400 / 70 Hz
Operating Temperature: .......................... 50o - 86o F (10o - 30o C)
Relative Humidity: .............................................. 20% - 80%
Bandwidth (Dot Rate): ............................................. 108 MHz
Input Impedance: ........................................... 75 +/- 3% Ohms
Horizontal Frequency: ....................................... 31.5 - 70 kHz
Vertical Frequency: ........................................... 50 - 120 Hz
Universal Power Supply: ............................ 90 - 132 V, 50 - 60 Hz
190 - 265 V, 50 - 60 Hz

Inrush Current: .......................................... 30 Amps at 120 V
60 Amps at 220 V
Maximum Power Rating: .......................................... <100 watts
Synch Input: .......................................................... TTL
Signal Cable: ...................................... 15-pin miniature D-sub
Microphone: ................................... Integrated Telex microphone
Power Management: ..................................................... Yes
Energy Star Compliant: ................................................ Yes
Plug-and-Play: ........................................................ Yes

I suspect this is actually a Viewsonic, re-badged monitor. If you have the refresh rate set to 85hz then this monitor is operating at its limit. Try removing your sound card (just to eliminate it).

:)

9500 is a low score for your system. i get 9000 with a 1.6ghz tbird, gf4 ti4200, and sdram. you should get around 12k or higher.

look at task manager when you firt boot up and make sure your pagefile usage isn't too high (above 150mb or so) and cpu usage is at a steady 0-5%. like i said, you should have a higher score, so some probably isn't configured correctly.

I can get my pagefile down to about 50 mb, but my computer usage I can't get below 13%. I don't think that is the problem but I'm willing to try any tips anyone might have. Does anyone have a link to the abbreviated applications in the task manager for xp. I have one for millenium, but alot of the xp stuff is abbreviated differently. I still havent tried a different monitor, waiting for a friend to have the same day off as me to try that, or I just might go buy one I can take back, just to try it out and eliminate another possible solution.

Well everyone, I have finally figured out where the problem was coming from. After alot of trouble shooting and hours and hours of trial and error. The one thing I did not have access to but was suspicous of was my monitor. Well after playing around today I was ready to go buy one at Best Buy when I remembered my vidieo out on my g force. Well, games ran smooth as silk on my tv. Kinda cool too, 51 inch monitor;) Anyhow thank you everyone for your help.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back