I've been building computers for

Sinster

OSNN Senior Addict
awhile and I have always installed the S/PDIF cable, but does the computer really utilize it when converting over sound? What purpose does it serve on DVD and CDroms?

Is that the digital coax cable? I'm not familiar with the abbreviations on these. :p

I haven't used it for years and still play CD audio. Try removing it and if it still works then you are golden.

I think the deal is that once the CD players used to decode the audio and send em over that cable (cd analogue?), nowadays the data is sent to the player and it decodes it, therefore no cable is needed (cd digital?)

Electric is correct. i haven't plugged that is in years. Its only used when you play CD's direct from the CD-Rom.

Always wondered what that cable did:)
Our first Windows 95 PC had one!

Systems haven't needed it since Win98.

Heeter

ever since I heard about that whole S/PDIF thing I never installed it on any of my computers. Mind boggling that thing you call S/PDIF but I have been building computers since 2000 when I got into it heavily. I guess I can call myself an enthusiast now :D:D:D:D:D.

Hmmm - i dunno what the hell happened with my first pc, but after putting that cable back in .. (somewhere in the wrong place i'm guessing) the cable went up in smoke and melted off all the casing :p so i never used one again

Moonwraith said:
Hmmm - i dunno what the hell happened with my first pc, but after putting that cable back in .. (somewhere in the wrong place i'm guessing) the cable went up in smoke and melted off all the casing :p so i never used one again

thats freakin sweet dude :D :p

S/PDIF: Short for Sony/Philips Digital Interface, it's a standard audio file transfer format.

S/PDIF allows the transfer of digital audio signals from one device to another without having to be converted first to an analog format. Maintaining the viability of a digital signal prevents the quality of the signal from degrading when it is converted to analog.

Read this and this :)

Actually that cable is an analogue cable not a digital one. The os/computer now carries the signal digitally through the pci bus now.

drz01 said:
Actually that cable is an analogue cable not a digital one. The os/computer now carries the signal digitally through the pci bus now.
There are two connectors, one four pin (analogue) and one two (methinks) pin (digital).

Zedric said:
There are two connectors, one four pin (analogue) and one two (methinks) pin (digital).

Methinks you correct. I have both connected to my SB Live sound card.

spdif.gif

Internal digital SP DIF/SP-DIF audio cable for digital output from CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, and CD-RW drives to advanced sound cards. Also called S/P-DIF and S/PDIF cables.

This cable is used for digital instead of analog audio output. The conventional 4-pin audio cable/connector is analog.

yeah i've always been taught thats its for direct listening to off audio cds. i had it connected on my old pc but threw it out when i upgraded

Thx for your responses and now I feel better knowing that I'm not the only one :)

you dont nede any cable except the ide/sata/scsi on optical drives these days
all will play the audio over the data bus. 99.9999999...% of drives dont even have the digital output wired up internally :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back