iTunes for Windows or Napster

True, but with Napster you can buy tracks al a carte, so instead of buying an entire album for one song, you could just purchase that one track............. a membership with Napster is free and allows you to check out a 30 second clip of the track before you buy it.............makes cent$ i think............plus Napster sells albums for $9.95....................

Originally posted by Mr_Darko
True, but with Napster you can buy tracks al a carte, so instead of buying an entire album for one song, you could just purchase that one track............. a membership with Napster is free and allows you to check out a 30 second clip of the track before you buy it.............makes cent$ i think............plus Napster sells albums for $9.95....................

iTunes was 1st w/ the 30sec clip and the "al a carte" :D the price of the two is also similar. It's things like this below from the napster disclaimer that I don't like (sounds like songs are only playable thru certain aps).

f you are using the version of the Service that is accessible from Microsoft Corporation's Windows Media Player 9 Series, you will only be able to burn or transfer Purchased Tracks using the Windows Media Player. In addition, if you are using the version of the Service that runs in Microsoft Corporation's Windows XP Media Center Edition 2004, certain features that are available in the Service will not be available in the "distance viewing" experience.

as for apples iTunes I haven't heard of any restrictions on what programs you can use to play the files.

well, figured I'd revive this thread since Napster has now been released.

My first impressions of Napster 2.0 has been a big letdown. I find the program bloated and way to hard to navigate around. I think it is obvious that in an iTunes vs. Napster brawl iTunes will kick serious ass

I like Apples, I Like Oranges Satsumas more.

I don't like file swapping applications, they create crime.

iTunes is pretty, not used it yet, I have thousands of wma's from my own CD music and they will stay on my PC HD.

Will they support WMA format? Who Knows I think i will phone Bill and ask @ 800-Bill-Gates.

Heard a great joke will post it in jokes.

Wow. Lotsa hype in Aussie I.T papers. Much ado about nothing if you ask me ! :)

I did read in september that itunes sold it's 10 millionth download in 3 months. Wow

Your guys' opinions are all wrong. As one of the people who actually downloaded Napster to give it a try, let me give you the low-down. Napster allows you to download a song and have it on as many as 3 different medias at one time. This is no different than iTunes, am I correct? Napster lets you preview 30 seconds of every song so you can really decide if you want to buy it. They also allow you to listen to all of the streaming music that you want. You can even setup your own radio station and stream it. I visited iTunes site right after it came out for windows. I was not impressed and I actually found it hard to find what I wanted. I think you should all give Napster a go. It's a free download, doesn't install any spyware, and you can preview tracks and stream music WITHOUT having to give any creditcard information. And, for those of you who are under 18 and don't have a creditcard... You can visit Target and buy a pre-paid Napster card.

Ok, so now, who still thinks that iTunes is better? :)

O.K. I will write here what I read in this mag:
Web Act!ve Issue number 32 date 16 oct-12 nov 2003.
It's on page 8.

An iTune a day keeps the RIAA away.

Apple has announced the sale of the 10 millionth song on its iTunes music service. Since launching only 5 months ago (sorry I wrote 3), the online music store has averaged more than 500,000 songs per week. The 10 millionth song, 'Complicated by Avril Lavigne' on 3rd September 2003. Apple's CEO, Steve Jobs, said:'Legally selling 10 millions songs online in 4 months is a historic milestone for the music industry, musicians and music lovers everywhere."
Coldplay's Chris Martin also added: "We are honoured and grateful to be one of the top-selling artists in the itunes Music Store. It's clear Apple have delivered a successful platform for music fans to discover artists and purchase both albums and single songs. We embrace these efforts enthusiastically and see them as the future of our business."
The iTunes stores offers songs from major and independant music labels, which can be downloaded directly into Apples integrated digital jukebox software. iTunes is currently only available for US residents who pay 99 cents (65p) per song.
Users can listen to free 30-second previews of any song in the store, then purchase and download their favourite songs in digital quality. Songs can be burned onto an unlimited number of CD's for personal use, played on up to three computers and listened to on an unlimited number of iPods.

www.apple.com/uk

I never used a file sharing application (probably would if I gave into peer pressure), this sounds good, Roxio I think are doing the same with Napster.

A Question.....

Do you think that the average person who downloads music will be inclined to use Napster or iTunes and why? I think Napster. Already Napster has the largest library of songs of all the digital media providers. It seems to me that anyone with a true passion for music would be interested in content and not the format of the tracks. As long as they "sound" CD quality, we're gravy. It's free to browse their library of over 500,000 tracks and $0.99 per track or $9.95 per album. It's all about the music for me and Napster seems to be the most promising for content.

"If you think you think outside the box you're trapped in one.." MCPaulBarman

I can't understand why coathanger is smiling about having kazaa.
You and anyone else that steals (c) should be ashamed of yourselves.

This is why product activation has now come in. This is why people lose their jobs. This is why honest people have to more for buying products if retail or if it is ESD.

You're no better than a scummy shop lifter.

I stopped downloading illegal mp3s a long while back. Now I only use Kazaa for songs I already have on tape. Most people don't even do this :)
Legally, you're only half right. It's not the artists but the money hungry marketing middlemen who reap the gains. :mad:

This is why honest people have to more for buying products if retail or if it is ESD.

Leevoy....get real

I don't want to start a flaming war here...... but come on......its there ready available for all who want to get it.....

If someone can get it for nothing then they will [well 98% will] .....don't slag them for that.....

Keep it real

Alan

It's called thieving. As I said coz of people that use these products they cause people to lose their jobs, businesses to go bust and software and music to spiral.

It's a fact not a flamer for flame jobs that steal (c) materials to diss me.

Show proof that 98% of peoples that use the net would steal (c) please.

So your saying if all people stopped downloading pirated software and illegal music.....the companies involved would reduce the cost of there products.....reduce the cost of there CD's/Records........and employ more people........I think not....

Maybe the fat cats will get a bit fatter.....but thats about all

Since the dawn of tape people have been copying music........

All this purging has been going on a lot longer than the birth of the internet.......

as i said originally

keep it real

Alan

Yes I do beleive 'their' software would drop in price.

'Keeping it real' is very dated. Sacha Barron Cohen sure had you fooled, :p

I have to agree with Leevoy on this one...

Don't get me wrong... I have done my share of downloading, but now with music easily available online for a cheap price I have changed my ways. Artists' products are music. You woudln't just give what you make away for free, would you? Entertainment is entertainment. You pay for it no matter what it is. I support companies for a living, and I wouldn't appreciate it if I went in to do work and then they didn't pay me. You can pull that BS about the money not going to the artists and all that... if that's your way to justify it then keep on believing that BS.

Quality products and music deserve to be paid for.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back