its time for new graphic card! cheap one!

the_music_man

aka prodj88 =P
hey does it matter which company makes a graphic card? b/ci want to get a chaintech or gainward ti4200. they aren't the most known but i think they are ok, right?

right

cool.gif

if you would like to get a new graphics card cheap.. why dont you wait for the GeforceFX series to come out? Some versions of the series are lower than $100 (as quoted in the nvidia conference)

Gainward as a brand are ok but you should wait until fx are released and prices on ti's 4200 will decrease ..

i would suggest a golden sample or try a 9500 pro or non-pro in about a month.

for some senseing feeling.. i think some of the GeforceFX series will be cheaper than the Geforce4Ti .. i dunno why thos coz even the cheapest GeforceFX is about 30% better than the Geforce4ti4600

Ill let you decide :D

Chaintech is not a very good name. Gainward is supposed to be good but my ge3-ti200 just died after only 15 months and i never pushed it beyond the default settings so I'm really down on gainward now. A friend had a pny ge4 that died after 2 months.

If you want reliable avoid "golden samples" or overclocked cards, whatever the brand. And go with one of the low end versions of a chipset they aren't pushed as hard for the amount of cooling provided.

WARNING watch out for all the "newer" cards that do not have DX9 hardware support like the whole ge4 series and the ati 9000!

As mentioned above if cost is a driver wait for the benchamrkson the new GE FX5200. Its going to run about $79.

Originally posted by LeeJend
Chaintech is not a very good name. Gainward is supposed to be good but my ge3-ti200 just died after only 15 months and i never pushed it beyond the default settings so I'm really down on gainward now. A friend had a pny ge4 that died after 2 months.

If you want reliable avoid "golden samples" or overclocked cards, whatever the brand. And go with one of the low end versions of a chipset they aren't pushed as hard for the amount of cooling provided.

WARNING watch out for all the "newer" cards that do not have DX9 hardware support like the whole ge4 series and the ati 9000!

As mentioned above if cost is a driver wait for the benchamrkson the new GE FX5200. Its going to run about $79.

lol :)

well let me just put a couple of things straight here...

the golden samples are GOOD... they are supposedly hand-picked and have nice packages (with lots of add-ons) which make them worthwhile...

concerning dx9 ? well the new gf FX series of cards is not entirely dx9 compliant either (ie able to do dx9 stuff in hardware) there are some thing done in software that make it slower in those situations...

however... there are not likely to be any games out there that run dx9 instruction sets for a while therefore there is no harm in buying a gf4 ti series of cards... they are quite good...

however if one is looking for decent performance along the levels of a gf4ti 4200 or so... the 4200 itself is likely to be one of the better choices or for a few dollars more... the 9500pro (NOT the non-pro)..

Originally posted by Alex_is_Axel
for some senseing feeling.. i think some of the GeforceFX series will be cheaper than the Geforce4Ti .. i dunno why thos coz even the cheapest GeforceFX is about 30% better than the Geforce4ti4600

Ill let you decide :D

here also is a little mis-information :)

the NEW gf FX series of cards may have a higher product numver (ie nv31 and nv34) but they are low end cards... :)

the 2 parts I have mentioned struggle to keep up with the current gf4ti series of cards product except in AA and FSAA enabled scenes... and there they get whooped by the 9500pro...

read this review for more information...

http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1797

hopefully this review will give a better idea of the product and its performance in relation to products on the market... such as the gf4ti 4200 et al..

Radeon 9700 Pro as soon as the 9800s come out, they will be cheaper and they are dx9 cards

Originally posted by Geffy
Radeon 9700 Pro as soon as the 9800s come out, they will be cheaper and they are dx9 cards

his price range is different :)

obviously...

If the golden samples are so good why did my gainward ge3-ti200 die 15 months after i bought it. Conveniently right after the warantee ran out. My system temp is only 35 deg F and the cooler fan was running fine and I left it at the Gainward default speeds.

Like I said before.

Never buy a factory overclocked chip you are assuming the responsibility for it. If they decide to extend the warantees on golden samples out to 3-5 years maybe its worth it .

Originally posted by LeeJend
If the golden samples are so good why did my gainward ge3-ti200 die 15 months after i bought it. Conveniently right after the warantee ran out. My system temp is only 35 deg F and the cooler fan was running fine and I left it at the Gainward default speeds.

Like I said before.

Never buy a factory overclocked chip you are assuming the responsibility for it. If they decide to extend the warantees on golden samples out to 3-5 years maybe its worth it .

I thought almost all video cards come with a lifetime guarantee ?

/me pets his lubly jubly lifetime warranty covered video card...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back