It's (almost) official - iPhone updates are breaking unlocked iPhones

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Check this out:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7017660.stm

According to the BBC, they are getting reports of the latest updates rendering unlocked iPhones inoperable and even screwing with iphones that haven't been unlocked.

If it turns out that Apple did this on purpose, I can smell a lawsuit coming.

If there's a suit, I hope they lose. I know there's EULAs and laws against stuff like this, but almost every human feels, deep down, that if they purchase something they should be able to alter it (I share this sentiment too, by the way!).

Maybe adding a lift kit to your truck will void your factory warranty, but you won't see Chevrolet showing up to pour salt water into your engine.

If there's a suit, I hope they lose. I know there's EULAs and laws against stuff like this, but almost every human feels, deep down, that if they purchase something they should be able to alter it (I share this sentiment too, by the way!).

Maybe adding a lift kit to your truck will void your factory warranty, but you won't see Chevrolet showing up to pour salt water into your engine.

This is not like Chevrolete coming and pouring salt water into your engine.

This is like you poured in aviation fuel, and then when a recall was made to replace a certain part, that part is not compatible and thus your engine blows up.

That being said, I don't agree with what is happening, however the iPhone Sim Free guys hack did not get reversed and they have been able to successfully upgrade to 1.1.1, however the AnySim hack if used causes the phone to get bricked, so it is possible that AnySim messed with a certain part that it should not have messed with.

That is a bad analogy. You can freely modify your engine, bigger headers, drill out a larger bore for teh cam shaft, what not. If there is a a part that is recalled in th car, you do not have to voluntarily get it. No one is holding a gun to your head. This is not the case with Apple and the Itunes update.

You can Turn off Windows update, and risk an unsecure computer, and still exist.

When did Microsoft and Apple switch positions, on the benign computer software?

Apple + iPhone update = Phone Nazis

This could serious hurt their fan base. Here you always thought, "Oh, Apple is sooooo cool." Now they'll think, "WTF! Who are they to make us do what we don't want to do? And since when are we being forced to do the update?"

That is a bad analogy. You can freely modify your engine, bigger headers, drill out a larger bore for teh cam shaft, what not. If there is a a part that is recalled in th car, you do not have to voluntarily get it. No one is holding a gun to your head. This is not the case with Apple and the Itunes update.

You can Turn off Windows update, and risk an unsecure computer, and still exist.

When did Microsoft and Apple switch positions, on the benign computer software?

an iTunes update is not forced in any way shape or form, where did you get this misconception? It is a voluntary thing!

an iTunes update is not forced in any way shape or form, where did you get this misconception? It is a voluntary thing!

That's right, and so it renders this argument worthless. If you choose to unlock your iPhone then you also choose to give up the chance of improved/new functionality with later updates. Anyone techie enough to install a hack on the phone should have some comprehension of this.

Also, any idiot who took their chances with the upgrade on a hacked phone is just that, an idiot. With all the press there's been on this it's your own fault for not paying attention, or not taking it seriously. Apple even discourages these people NOT to upgrade before applying a fix to re-lock it. That's right, it's voluntary to upgrade!

it is true mine is relocked as of now, i know i shouldnt have updated but i just love having the newest software for everything and i just wanted to test it. im closely watching the news with the dev team, theres slight progress as of this morning

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back