It takes 2 minutes for Firefox to start up.

T

Tiffany

Is this normal? I have about 25 extensions & 2 themes. Firefox takes

significantly longer than MyIE2 to start up.

Thanks

It seems odd you do have many extensions, but I do see it being an issue. There are some manual tweaks you can do in the about config menu. but if you are comfortable not doing so. there are a few good programs that can tune it for you.

FireTune 1.1.2 http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4534.html

Here are a few tweaks that may help you also.

If you experience slow startup. it is because Windows reclaims the memory Firefox used in anticipation that other open applications might need it. This can cause a delay when Firefox is restored.

you can set the config.trim preference to disallow Windows to reclaim memory from a minimized Mozilla application. Always set config.trim_on_minimize to true in Firefox

why do you have so many extensions, i used to like firefox, but it is just a nausence now, IE7 is the way to go.

It seems odd you do have many extensions, but I do see it being an issue. There are some manual tweaks you can do in the about config menu. but if you are comfortable not doing so. there are a few good programs that can tune it for you.

FireTune 1.1.2 http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4534.html

Here are a few tweaks that may help you also.

If you experience slow startup. it is because Windows reclaims the memory Firefox used in anticipation that other open applications might need it. This can cause a delay when Firefox is restored.

you can set the config.trim preference to disallow Windows to reclaim memory from a minimized Mozilla application. Always set config.trim_on_minimize to true in Firefox
I meant when I start Firefox, not when I un-minimise it.

Thanks for the download.

why do you have so many extensions, i used to like firefox, but it is just a nausence now, IE7 is the way to go.
I got it because A lot of people said Firefox the best.

A lot of the extensions are features that other browsers would have included automatically. They are all necessary. They are things like Adblock & 2 other extensions that go with it. Updater, translaters, scroll feature, etc.

I read that IE7 still has security holes.

Thanks for answering.

What it all comes down to is safe browsing... firefox just seems to be getting slower and slower....

.... all browsers have security issues. its up to you to make sure you don't compromise yourself by going to dodgy sites. like osnn :)

What it all comes down to is safe browsing... firefox just seems to be getting slower and slower....

.... all browsers have security issues. its up to you to make sure you don't compromise yourself by going to dodgy sites. like osnn :)
I find that Firefox blocks flashing ads best.

Thanks for answering. :)

One small but possibly important question. Well, a few questions. :D What speed CPU do you have? And how many other programs are loaded when you start Firefox? How fragmented are your Hard Drives? Is your computer sluggish to begin with?

If your computer is slow to begin with Firefox will take a bit of time to load.

One small but possibly important question. Well, a few questions. :D What speed CPU do you have? And how many other programs are loaded when you start Firefox? How fragmented are your Hard Drives? Is your computer sluggish to begin with?

If your computer is slow to begin with Firefox will take a bit of time to load.
Celeron 2.1 GHZ.

Just Zone alarm firewall, Bitdefender AV & anti-spyware.

My PC isn't sluggish.

MyIE2 browser starts faster.

Thanks for replying.

25 extensions? :eek:
This pc's only 900 MHz and 256 MB ram. I've 4 extentions, 2 themes and Firefox loads in a matter of seconds :D

Extensions are a bane on firefox's existance :)

I think mozilla realised this and started adding extra features to it to reduce the number of extensions people need.

Still I recommend Opera or IE7 to folks now. All I use FF for now is its SAGE rss extension :)

Do you think I should get Mozilla instead? Firefox blocks ads better than my

Opera. I don't think it's the latest version of Opera though.

May I sugest uninstalling Firefox and all them extensions. And don't worry your profile will still be there. Well, how many profiles are there? Anyway. Then reinstall Firefox as is no extensions or anything. Open it up and see how fast it loads. Then once you have checked that it is loading fine and is loading quickly install an extension. Open the brwser again and see how fast it loads. Then on to the next extension and so on. This way you will see if any of these extensions are causing the slow down in loading of Firefox. Also before you uninstall, make a list of all the extensions that you have, and any themes also. Now some will say to just uninstall the extensions but I think if you uninstall everything and begin anew it could work better. My feeling anyway. One or a couple of extensions could be fighting against each other. There are some that don't play well with other extensions of similar type. Like a tabbed browser type extension would/could have a conflict with another tabbed browser extension that you may have installed together because one didn't have all the things you wanted and the other the same. So you go and install both, and they fight with each other and cause problems. Soooooo, if you want do what I suggested have at it, or wait to see if anyone else has other ideas or agrees my post is a possible plan of attack.

Also, switching over to another browser is not the best idea, since you are trying to fix a problem not because the browser doesn't do what you want it to do. If you are happy with the way Firefox works for you but it has now gottin slow then by all means fix the problem and don't just sweep it under the rug. Good luck. :)

Oh, last thing. Defrag your Hard Drives. Just to be sure.

Last edited:
I just noticed that I had 6 themes, not 2. I uninstalled 4. I restarted it. It

started at a normal speed. I think it only starts slow after I start my PC.

Thank you all for replying.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back