IT qualifications: where to start?

ming

OSNN Advanced
For the experts... :)

Want to ask which courses should be studied if one wanted to get into the IT sector (Networking/Support).
I was initially thinking of taking MSCE and A+ courses but have heard that it's almost pointless taking MSCE unless you've had at least 2yrs experience in the field. What do you think?
Also, which would be more beneficial (as single or combination) to study out of the following?

• MSCE
  • A+
  • Network+

In my opinion, you would be better off getting the A+ and the Network+. MCSE is great to have, but you would have trouble getting a job worth anything without real-world experience to back it up. If you go for the two I mentioned, it shows you are knowledgeable and willing to learn - places like that.

Would you recommend something else that has not been listed?

That depends on what field you want to get into.. as far as intro certs go, the A+ and Net+ are pretty basic and intro/entry level and are the place to start if you have no experience.. You could also look at taking one or two of the MS tests and just get an MCP and/or MCSA

After that.. the world is your oyster.. Cisco Cersts/MSCE/Security Certs, hardware specific certs.. etc..

The world is full of certification acronyms.. just take your pick of letters that you want to add after your name.

I have my MCSA, has suited me rather well ;)

Fitz makes a good point though, it varies on what you want to do. But he has a good suggestion, I would go for at least your MCP as well, that seems to be very popular these days.

That depends on what field you want to get into..

As mentioned Networking/Support. I know I'll start off with A+, might just take the exam without the course.
MCSA seems quite similar to MCSE except it doesn't involve designing security or active directory, right?
And, aren't MCPs just components of MCSE?

MCSA is 4 exams, whereas the MCSE is 7 or 9 if you want to go into a specialization (I think that is the count anyways).

MCP is mostly a certification for either the 70-270 (XP Client) or 70-290 (2003 Server Client) Operating Systems. Either one counts as being MCP, and eventually towards the MCSA/MCSE

MCSA is 4 exams, whereas the MCSE is 7 or 9 if you want to go into a specialization (I think that is the count anyways).

MCP is mostly a certification for either the 70-270 (XP Client) or 70-290 (2003 Server Client) Operating Systems. Either one counts as being MCP, and eventually towards the MCSA/MCSE

oh ok. thanks for the clarification.

Think I know where I'm heading now. Thanks all.

Other comments are welcome. :)

As mentioned Networking/Support. I know I'll start off with A+, might just take the exam without the course.
MCSA seems quite similar to MCSE except it doesn't involve designing security or active directory, right?
And, aren't MCPs just components of MCSE?

You sound like you want to work in the hardware area support or am I reading this wrong?

If so, you would be well suited by taking the CompTIA certs I already hold:
A+
Net+
Sec+
Server+

A+ obviously hardware starter a MUST HAVE for entry level positions
Net+ basic networking cert, since the changes this cert is no joke, dont take it too lightly...

THEN.. if you think you might go administrative support or security:

Server + slightly more hardware, plus peripherals
Sec + (security plus) this test is almost exclusively a data dump... you will almost never use the knowledge gained since most of this is caught by guards and firewalls but it is still very useful to get since many companies are looking for someone with a secuirty start already...

EDIT: Lastly... there are literaly THOUSANDS of proprietary certifications from different vendors, if the company you are looking to join has a heavy interest in one or several particular vendors target those, as they are typically easily passed.

Hope this information helps you a little...

Mike A!

am currently doing A+, then mcsa, mcse then security+

may also do network+

i plan to end up makin mega ££ :p

If you go for you MCSE, go for your RHCE and CCNA as well ...

Ditto. Time wasted if you ask me.

Time wasted is dependant upon your view...

Example:

You are a hiring manager with two perspective employees who both have enough experience and both did well in the interview... the sole difference is that one of the two has both the certs you want and the other does not..

who would YOU choose?

nuff said...
all other things being equal having the certs can mean the difference between getting the job and NOT getting the job... I have had the pleasure of being the person getting the job... :laugh:

so I highly endorse getting the certifications, it doesnt take much to get them, costs are negligible if you are self-motivated, and make you a target for IT head hunters looking for qualified candidates..

just my $.02...

Valid point Mr. Mike. I stand corrected in that aspect.

Valid point Mr. Mike. I stand corrected in that aspect.

Your point is well taken, and I dont think I corrected you...

Just pointing out a personal experience.

:)

Nice point Mlakrid - exactly how I feel and have always been preached to about the situation.

Kinda why I'm being psychotic and getting my masters as well - on the company dime of course ;)

Your point is well taken, and I dont think I corrected you...

Just pointing out a personal experience.

You are 100% correct Mr. Mike. I didn't have to go through that when I started my professional IT career. Nor do I have to worry about it now (self employed). I just wasn't thinking along those lines.

You are 100% correct Mr. Mike. I didn't have to go through that when I started my professional IT career. Nor do I have to worry about it now (self employed). I just wasn't thinking along those lines.

Nice to be self-employed... I could never muster enough business to make a living out of it...

I can dream I suppose...

In the meantime I just deploy and make the big $$

:D

Hey guys, me again...

Does anyone know where I can find an exam centre and register for the A+ exam in London?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back