Issues with Win7 and Linux file servers

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi All,

I am having a couple of more network issues with Win7 and Linux file servers.

I am testing out a win7 beta in this environment (Linux web and file servers, and XP and linux workstations.)

When win7 is rebooted, it doesn't "remember" the login info of the linux file server's samba drives. I keep entering the info, checkmarking the "remember password", I also added the login credentials into the user account, to no avail.

And I still can't get the win7 "library" folder paths to redirected to the linux file servers shared drives. I have another thread concerning this, but that one was spun out of control with the commentary. Win7 keeps telling me that the folder paths need to be indexed.

I am wondering if these issues with still be prevelant when Win7 does go gold. We are looking for direct replacements for the XP workstations this fall. The XP workstations are really old, being old win2000 upgraded equipment.

Thanks all,

Heeter

Last edited by a moderator:
it could be because linux file sharing isn't compatible with windows 7. With the new security features that are in windows 7 and the file sharing, I would be surprisd if anything besides windows will be able to access it.

http://www.builderau.com.au/blogs/codemonkeybusiness/viewblogpost.htm?p=339270746

then add
ntlm auth = YES, lanman auth = YES (which without the hack kills the Win 7 Machine from looking), client ntlmv2 auth = yes to smb.conf.

could also try updating to latest samba

or

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Local Security Policy

Local Policies - Security Options

Network security: LAN Manager authentication level
Send LM & NTLM responses

Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
Disable Require 128-bit encryption

or maybe

Control Panel -> Credential manager. remove the stored credentials for the Samba share

Good analogy, Johnny, never thought of it that way.

Heeter

Hi 3DFIEND,

Thanks for that post,

I will try those right away!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if MS will offer up a patch for this later on.

Thanks 3D,

Will get back to you on this,

On a side note, this issue isn't a problem with a vista machine that we tested here a couple of months back.

And I did recompile Samba to the latest version as of two months ago.

Heeter

vista and win7 are sooooo much alike ;), and samba 3.3.2 is latest and was out on the 12th of march :p - tis will more likely be sorted once win7 has rtmd and they know there will be no more changes

Thanks for replies, 3D

My client is looking ahead for workstation replacements. Maybe right now he is looking too far ahead.............

Heeter

tell them to learn to walk before they try to run, although i can see their point in looking ahead now

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back