Issues with gaming.......

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
I will begin by saying sorry, but this might kinda of vague.

I am playing crysis warhead presently on a Windows7 machine (listed in sig). Anyways, the game always crashes. I can't put my finger on the issue.

It was bought through Steam "Crysis $19 Playpack, Crysis, Warhead, Online".

I played the original crysis with no issues.

I have updated the video drivers, to no avail.

I have uninstalled a bunch of stuff, to no avail.

I have stopped a few services, like antivirus, before starting gameplay, to no avail.

I have taken all windows updates, defragged, run reg cleaners, checked the vid card temps, all to no avail.

Could it be the game itself?

I am at a loss.

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Ahh, games crashing. Brings back old memories.

It could be anything. OS, Game, driver issues, heating, weak power supply or other HW. My worst nightmare was 6 months of game crashes that went away when I upgraded my old sound card.

Enable full details on the fault logging and pull up the crash log after the game dies. It may show what caused the crash.

Failing that stress test all of your hardware using something like Sandra. Do one item (memory, cpu, graphics, etc.) at a time for 30 minutes and see if you get a crash.
You can monitor tempeatures during the test.

For driver issues try rolling back as well as installing the latest. And check the forums at the game website to see if the problem is widespread.

Game runs fine on 7 for me but I have the DVD retail version.

I never buy from steam if I can get on CD/DVD.

Why not Steam, AZ?

Your thoughts, please.

Maybe something about Steam I don't know about. Mind you this is the first game I have had issues with, all others purchased through Steam has run great, even original crysis.

Heeter

Why run steam.exe and the game executable too?

Patches released by the manufacturer are sometimes for the retail version only and will not work for the steam version of the game.
Which means you have to wait for steam to release a patch for the game.

Example:
Bioshock 2 steam version has a lot more problems than the retail DVD version. Patch for DVD version was released the day the game came out but not for the steam version.

Heck...what if steam goes out of business?

It could happen to any company as look what happened to Sierra who were once one of the main names in software.

What if steam gets hacked and account info like games you own gets deleted?

Why run steam.exe and the game executable too?

Patches released by the manufacturer are sometimes for the retail version only and will not work for the steam version of the game.
Which means you have to wait for steam to release a patch for the game.

Example:
Bioshock 2 steam version has a lot more problems than the retail DVD version. Patch for DVD version was released the day the game came out but not for the steam version.

Heck...what if steam goes out of business?

It could happen to any company as look what happened to Sierra who were once one of the main names in software.

What if steam gets hacked and account info like games you own gets deleted?

Early on in Steam's life, yes maybe some updates where later then retail copies. Not so these days. Valve has stated many times that if they go out of business you will get your games. And I have been hacked twice since 2004 and got help and my account back within 1 day, no problem. Anything can be hacked.

Steam does not always release updates as quickly as the retail DVD owners get them from the game developers. Sometimes yes and sometimes no. Steam does tend to be quicker than other online methods such as Direct2Drive and Impulse, however.

Steam is useful in some ways and people can get some outrageously good deals on games such as the holiday sales that Steam had this past December/January but I prefer to own games on physical media. I'm not a fan of the digital delivery method and the hassles that come with not owning a disc and having to download the entire game when I go to install it on a system which, these days, can be quite big.

Thanks guys, for all your responses.

I do like steam for the fact of the great specials on games. I bought a complete crysis set for $19.

Heeter

Are you running in x64 or x86?
At what point does it crash? at startup (with nothing shown), at main menu, in game, 5 minutes in game?
Also what soundcard do you have as its drivers can cause crashes (esp if its creative!)?

Cheers

Hey ZH,

I did finish the game off while it was doing that. It was very annoying, but I made it through.

It is a 64bit Win7 setup, with a Xonar DX soundcard. It crashed about 5 minutes into the game.

I have since purchased Quantum Of Solace off Steam, and playing it now with no issues. I had no issues with games previous to Crysis:Warhead.

I am chalking this up to a Crysis:Warhead taking issue with my setup.

Thanks

Heeter

Like others have said it could be anything, the fact it happens 5 mins into the game (especially if it always happens at the same point in the game) is a error with the game it's self. You might try removing it and re-downloading it. If you want to get extreame to get it to work, strip the system down to nothing but proc, mem, and gpu and try it again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back