Issues setting up IIS FTP on Windows 2000 Server

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

I'm not the best when it comes to configuring FTP on a Windows machine. As far as I know I have done it right, but here's what happens.

After making sure IIS was enabled, I went around tinkering in the management console. After setting the options as to how I wanted them, I finally made it so that I was able to FTP into it no problem. Now, I wanted to set it up so that we could have something in the FTP folder, and make it accessable... After I enabled anonymous logins, the link I had was accessable by me... but the weird thing was it was not allowed to be accessed by 2 of my friends.

So I think what I'm asking here are, what are the exact steps to ensure a good FTP connection that can be used by whom I choose on the server? I read the directions for IIS, but they have tidbits here, scraps there of information... nothing clear cut.

My ultimate suggestion, DON'T USE IIS! IIS is riddled with bugs, viruses, and on top of that, is feature-less. For web, I would use Apache. For FTP, I would use G6 or ServU.

Reg said:
My ultimate suggestion, DON'T USE IIS! IIS is riddled with bugs, viruses, and on top of that, is feature-less. For web, I would use Apache. For FTP, I would use G6 or ServU.

I would have to say go for Apache too... IIS is too troublesome

Just to reiterate, the server is in fact not behind any sort of firewall... so that can't be the reason it's blocking connections, because if it was, then why would it have allowed me and only me to connect, whether I logged in, or if I'm anonymous?

Also, we're not running web... not yet... but in any case, I don't know anything about G6 or ServU, so if you can explain them to me that would be wonderful. :)

Punkrulz said:
Just to reiterate, the server is in fact not behind any sort of firewall... so that can't be the reason it's blocking connections, because if it was, then why would it have allowed me and only me to connect, whether I logged in, or if I'm anonymous?

Because its on your local box and NOT through your firewalled connection.

There is no firewalled connection! FTP resides on server in Virginia... I connect by WSFTP from home machine... no firewalls in between them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back