Issue with HDD showing in Safe Remove option

zapoqx

Striking Master
I'll show it off the picture here:
StrangeHDDthing.jpg

With the exception of the USB, all of them are internal drives. I want to know why they show up in the safe removal. Its much more strange when thinking that the C drive... installed without the other drives at the time still showed it available for safe removal. Perhaps the new system I have is causing it?
But before I post that (Cause my sig needs updating still), would this have shown up once before and if possible, can they be removed?

That is usual for SATA drives.

I know it's because technically SATA drives are hot-swappable but would Windows actually let you "safely remove" your C:\ drive ? [ I would really hope not ]

I know it's because technically SATA drives are hot-swappable but would Windows actually let you "safely remove" your C:\ drive ? [ I would really hope not ]

No it won't let you remove your C:\ drive.

I know back in XP I had a similiar issue with the nvidia sata controller my motherboard had. This fixed it, but

A) No idea if it would work in Windows Vista/7
B) Most likely won't work with non nVidia SATA controllers.

huh. Well, my old system that was using the Sata ports and never had that issue.
Also, the DVD drive is connected to a sata slot and isn't being detected as a removable drive.

that would be because it doesn't report that it is hot-swap capable to windows :)

All disks that report they are hot-swap safe will show in the list - whether windows will be happy with you removing the disk or not - the hardware will allow it :)

Well... 1: Makes sense
2: Which decides that? The Motherboard or the hard drives?
If its the hard drives... and some I've had before from the old system... why the heck would they do that!?

If you enabled AHCI in the bios before installing Windows then you enabled hot swap for just about any drive you plug into the system.

AHCI enables hot swap and NCQ on drives that support them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back