isp problems

P

princedanger

Grrrrrr..

I am becoming increasinly frustrated by my system regarding connecting to the internet. I connect through freeserve anytime, and usually manage to get straight through. The problem I have is that if I have disconnected from the net, when I later reconnected, although the connection is okay (little bubble message tells me this is so!) I cannot access any pages through explorer, and outlook express cannot find my mail server account.

If I restart XP then reconnect, everything is okay again! I am getting fed up with restarting the system, does anybody know any possible causes/fixes. I am running Zone-Alarm pro firewall, but I can't see that this would cause the effect mentioned.

Any comments greatly recieved.

This problem has been raised previously, and common denominator appears to be ZoneAlarm.

I had same problem, ditched ZoneAlarm, replaced it with Tiny Personal Firewall (free) and (fingers crossed) everything has been OK ever since.:cool:

I belive this is a ZA and XP problem, i too have had it, and im on freeserve anytime too (not for long, just orderd adsl :)) I have just updated to ZA pro 3.0 and havnt had this issue yet and have been running for 2 days now.

Freeserve, if I'm correct is free dialup access. If you're on a modem, you really don't need to run firewall software at all. Your connections are sporadic, your IP changes and the transfer is slow. The only time you'd want to run a firewall program at all is if you install a lot of crap that could be spyware or trojans that dial home. If this is the case, the answer is easy: don't do that =)
/Lactic

I wish it was free. Some people including me prefer to feel more secure knowing what data is being sent/recived and by which programs. Even though dial-up's are slow and dynamic IP's, my firewall have still stoped a number of nukes from dumbasses off IR, and media player is annoying when it connects for codecs etc.

Thanks

Thanks guys for the info. It seems that little ol' zone alarm must be having a few probs then. Next mission - to find a copy of version 3, and see how that performs.

I must admit that I payed for my copy of ZApro version 2.6***. However as this is pissing me off somewhat, I shall endeavour to find a ripped off copy of version 3, I don't see why I should pay for upgrades to cover their faults....next question...(you knew this was coming!) anyone recommend a reliable site to download version 3???

Cheers.

Just d/l ZA pro 3 from the proper site, when u install it, choose same folder as your current ZA is using, and then before it starts copying files, it asks if u want to upgrade or do a clean install. I choose the upgrade and its been working fine, never asked for a new serial or anything.

its that pesky zone alarm i had exactly the same problem till i binned zone alarm try sygate its brill and free...........

sorted

Just got ZA pro 3 and now everything is hunky-dory. Thanks for the advice ppl.:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back