IS7-E ABIT i865PE

Daeron Tinúviel

OSNN Senior Addict
i bought this mobo and today i will be installing everything, also i bought my first SATA HD and need some adviced

I want to use my SATA HD as my boot drive, no raid just the drive but do i need to install any driver before installing XP???

Also can i use my other ATA Drives???

Daeron Tinúviel said:
I want to use my SATA HD as my boot drive, no raid just the drive but do i need to install any driver before installing XP???

No. You simply need to install XP. The HD is controlled by the BIOS. If the bios can see the drive correctly, so will Windows.

Daeron Tinúviel said:
Also can i use my other ATA Drives???

If your board has IDE slots, yes. If your board does not have IDE slots (I don't believe any SATA board is like this yet), you can still do so, but will need to by an IDE-to-SATA converter.

I have an Asus A7V8X (Serial ATA and standard IDE).
To use the SATA as boot this is what I did.
Enable SATA controller in BIOS.
Connect SATA disk to controller.
Boot PC, then when SATA controller is searching for disks,press CTRL-F (or whatever combo it says) to go into SATA BIOS.
I then had to define an array (even though this disk was on it's own), so set it as a stripe array with just the one disk.
Check the boot order in the PC BIOS is set to boot from SATA/RAID before normal IDE.
Install XP (it sees the SATA disk as the default)

VOILA!!

Daeron Tinúviel said:
ok thanks i will post after i install XP

well, i manage to install XP but.......when i get to the part to format etc, i select the sata drive to install XP but the next screen tells me that in order to do that iXP needs to write some files in another partition on the other IDE drive, why it does that?

now after i install XP i have a partition on my 2HD of 1024MB where XP wirte some boot files, why didnt do that in the same SATA drive?

did you install 3rd party drivers when you were installing windows xp ?

the first option you should have on install is press [F6] to install 3rd party drivers...

the controller for the s-ata drives is a RAID controller thats why you would need to install the drivers... if you do so you should technically be able to use the drive properly...

Sazar said:
did you install 3rd party drivers when you were installing windows xp ?

the first option you should have on install is press [F6] to install 3rd party drivers...

the controller for the s-ata drives is a RAID controller thats why you would need to install the drivers... if you do so you should technically be able to use the drive properly...

no i didnt, but my mobo has support for sata in fact it was detected........i check the cd that the mobo bring and it doesnt had any drivers, i'm gonna check it again but i'm quite sure it doesnt had any

hey, hi

just to let u know that i manage to install the sata disk, this time i put the dvd in IDE 2 and leave IDE1 empty, put the xpcd i went to install and work like a charm, then after xp was install i connect the other HD to ide1 and everything went cool, thanks guys

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back