IS Windows2000 faster than XP???

J

jabbermacy

I had to setup Win2000 on my XP machine (1800+/1gig RAM) to run a few older CAD programs. Well, it took 30min to install and another HOUR to use Windows update (!!!)

The system works GREAT - no issues, BUT I noticed right off the bat that a couple programs that I installed to run on both Win2k and XP seem to run SIGNIFICANTLY faster on Windows2000!! One of the 3D applications seems MUCH more responsive under Windows2000.

I don't have a ton of junk running 'behind the scenes' on the XP side, so what could cause the difference?? I'm going to restage XP once service pack 1 is released so I plan on some serious investigation.

Any ideas/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

One of the 3D applications seems MUCH more responsive under Windows2000.
^ there goes your problem. Some 3D card & 3D software don't work very well with XP.
Try upgrading your graphic card. That's what I'm going to do tomoro :-D

also the way XP is built... the more you use a program the faster it gets..

I had vid driver problems with XP... and everything seemed faster in win2k but no more... I can tell you this much... at least my desktop looks sexier now :)

also the way XP is built... the more you use a program the faster it gets..

is that true ?

what happens if you keep on formatting ???

Your system will run just fine under XP , mine simmilar ..

The sys admin at my job says 2000 is faster but I've done the same memory tweaks to both systems and can't tell a diff. My home PC is a little faster though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back