Is Vista worth it?

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hi Guys,
I was just looking around the forum and thought i'd ask a basic question.
I was wondeing two things, is it worht it? and how much will it cost us?
Im not too keene on spending money on stuff i don't need (unless its a material thing) so i was wondering what are the benifits except that games will bbe on vista?
-Jack

Re: Is it worth it?

vastly Improved UI, huge security updates, almost instant file searching and sorting with metadata, rss platform integration and probably more which i'm missing

wrong forum for the question - value is what you perceive it to be... get access on beta program or via friend or education or any other ontact you can manage - assess for yourself. At that time you will know cost - can perceive your benefit - your call.

I think everyone here will say yes.

Personally I may or may not deploy it on new rigs, but I am unlikely to upgrade more than one of my existing rigs... so I guess I am saying it is worth it to me, but not worth spending more than I need to. I shall probably end up buying one FULL license though - which will I am certain be extremely more than the 50 that Lord quotes!

PS Would any kind and conscientious mod change the thread title from "is it" to "is Vista" pls.? Would kinda make the RSS feed a heap better!

Mainframeguy said:
wrong forum for the question - value is what you perceive it to be... get access on beta program or via friend or education or any other ontact you can manage - assess for yourself. At that time you will know cost - can perceive your benefit - your call.

I think everyone here will say yes.

Personally I may or may not deploy it on new rigs, but I am unlikely to upgrade more than one of my existing rigs... so I guess I am saying it is worth it to me, but not worth spending more than I need to. I shall probably end up buying one FULL license though - which will I am certain be extremely more than the 50 that Lord quotes!

PS Would any kind and conscientious mod change the thread title from "is it" to "is Vista" pls.? Would kinda make the RSS feed a heap better!
Is it really going to only cost 50 dollars?
Like mentioned earlier, i was thinking it would be around 200 like xp is now...
If its less then 100 dollars i'll get it but other than that i can live with xp (Unless my friend magically gets me his companies 100% legal edition) ;)
LOL
-Jack

I said FROM $50 for the ultra limited and cut back ediition. the usefull version will sat you back around $200-$250 a pop retail.

Ouch, well forget that, like i said if my friend can give me the corporate edition then i'll install it, if he can't then i'll wait a few years til my computer gets obsolete.... Then i'll install vista on the new machine...
Jack

vanquished said:
... (Unless my friend magically gets me his companies 100% legal edition)...
I'm sure someone else will correct me if I am wrong, but you are mistaking "operational" for "legal". Unless you also work for your friends company, that software is likely under a corporate license - and the terms for that will have something about useage for staff members and may even have a maximum installation number for the company (not sure how M$ operates volume licensing, but I know in the mainframe arena we not only do that, but some companies charge by the useage of the software, if M$ did that you would end up paying more for the license on an Opteron or somesuch and peanust if you struggled along running it on an Athlon or somesuch! :crosseyed: )

I'm not telling ya what to do - just a heads up on forum guidelines and such.

Yeah, the home use policy will allow you to use office at home I believe (or even purchase a £15 copy like myself) but the OS is still licenced per user. (with servers either being per seat or concurrent connection)

We also get Technet Plus here, which has trials of XP (and all other Ms products) that don't have a timebomb - but obviously you wouldn't use those on a live system and really expect to get away with it.

I dunno.. we use our Action pack licenses at coreix - but they appear to be full oem licenses since they're holographic discs not orange and white labeled "internal use only"

My friends company is pretty big (he doesn't own it just high up) and they buy something like 1000 copies he always gives me a copy, oh also i was wondering if its legal to keep installing windows on the same system because i have probably installed windows like 18 times on my computer(s) and i was wondering if thats legal... (Same disc 1 per computer...)
-Jack

If the past is any indication, then the actual price will very depending on which version one needs to get:

- full retail
- education discounted
- upgrade (say from winXP for instance)
- OEM version
- Perhaps other possibilities, such as corporate, home, workstation/professional, server, etc...with different options (aka upgrade from server 2003 or new, etc...)

Each of those tend to very a bit, with I've seen in the past the upgrade version a bit over half the retail version, and an OEM version (if one can qualify for one) being less... I'm not sure what the current price is, but when winNT 4.0 full version was like $220 or something like that, the education discounted version I got was like $140, which was == upgrade. They didn't have the upgrade available at the discount then, however....

win2k and winXP I got from MSDN subscription I had back then, so never did bother really pricing them, though I think the full was like $200, but the upgrade, wasn't it about $100 or $120? Not remembering the upgrade for those 2 very well...

BTW, beyond looking at past prices, it would be hard for any of us to give the future cost, before the product has even left beta yet. Until Microsoft announces some stuff and has themself decided, we're not likely to know...

What is "worth it" is a subjective matter. I'll probably get it myself, but whether this means you might think it's worth it could be a diffeent story. Eventually, there might be software released that might require Vista to run... However the first service pack might be out before then, and I could well see some businesses waiting until SP1 before upgrading. Again looking at some of what has occured in the past, and what decisions some businesses have tended to make previous.

I see,
Im sorry i expected to know the price of the software:)
No bother, I'll just have to wait until it comes out, by then i'll be convinced its better im sure...
What do you think of Windows 64? I kno not right forum but....
-Jack

For people like us who have basic common sense when it comes to things like security, I'm not if upgrading right away is such a good idea. For the ignorant masses, I think Vista will be well worth it, just for the security improvements to IE alone.

What if i use firefox?
Because i hate IE as it is and i always will...
-Jack

Come on now, play nice. - Grandmaster

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back