Is Vista ready for RTM

M

Mecham

I know it's old news but, I have an excuse, I fractured my ankle (Ouch... :cry: ) so I have not be on the forum for a while. Where was I... Yeah, Microsoft to release Vista RTM (Release To Manufacturer) in October 2006... Personally, and my professional opinion and 10 years as an IT Systems Analyst/Systems Administrator, believe that Windows Vista is not ready for RTM in October.

Vista should move to RC2 and stick to their original release date of Jan 2007 instead. Microsoft again jumping the gun and releasing an operating system to the GP (General public) before they finalize and clean up the issues and security vaulrabilities which Vista currently has.

Do you think Windows Vista should move onto RC2 before RTM...?

It has been slated for RTM in October with a retail release in January. With a release of this nature you need several months to produce copies, packaging, etc. If they waited until January to RTM then it would be April for retail release.

You'll see a DECENT release for October RTM and that will allow to iron out a lot of kinks with drivers as manufacturers work over those 3 months to get them ready. However, I agree - there's some work there that still needs to be done and can't possibly be finished before October. However, throughout this entire development of Vista, Microsoft has listened to its users a lot more than through the development of other software (this approach also includes Office 2007). Still, we'll see a lot of updates on Windows Update in February 2007. :(

I think they went overboard on the engineered job security ideas :p

It has been slated for RTM in October with a retail release in January. With a release of this nature you need several months to produce copies, packaging, etc. If they waited until January to RTM then it would be April for retail release.

So basically in a nutshell... RTM then gold in Jan...? I think April is more of a realistic date and agree.

I have seen so many times where MS for some reason start to (shi** themselves) so to speak, maybe it's the shareholders putting pressure to release the final release to the manufacturers, or just general pressure from the directors and headd developers. I don't see the point in rushing a brand new product out which clearly has some issues. Maybe not everybody went through the survey on their connect accounts, but... I said yes to have RC1 on CD mailed top me, which arrived yesterday. Both 32-bit and 64-BT CD's arrived in the post from the USA.

The installation was slower than the ISO for some reason. I hope they do the same with the RTM release and send me a CD because it saves on the bandwidth, even though I have a 73GB bandwidth each month. The RC1 was 2.52GB in size let see what the RTM comes in as. I would imagine it would be over 3GB in size because there will be some extra bits and bobs put in before the final release. This happened with Windows XP Pro.

A RTM version is the initial release ("Gold" may be another term for it but I haven't heard it before).

Beta Phase, RC Phase, RTM, SP1, SP2, etc.

e.g. Windows XP RTM (first version), Windows XP SP1 (second), Windows XP SP2 (third)

Gold is a term that used to refer to the gold version of the disk that was sent off for replication.

Will go gold technically at the same time, but will hit shelves at the end of January - I think

A RTM version is the initial release ("Gold" may be another term for it but I haven't heard it before).

Beta Phase, RC Phase, RTM, SP1, SP2, etc.

e.g. Windows XP RTM (first version), Windows XP SP1 (second), Windows XP SP2 (third)

Alpha, Beta, Release Canditate, RTM, "GOLD" I shall explain, when the developers have finalised the development of the software it is sent to production to be processed, boxed and shipped to the retailers. When this announcement has been given by the developers it basically means the softweare has gone gold and ready for production.

Okay, I may be wrong, and quite frankly it's not worth debating, but when the very first public/final code version of XP was released Microsoft called it Windows XP RTM.

You can still view this with SUS 1.0 and WSUS 2.0 when approving updates.

Regardless, RTM or Gold will be delivered for mass production in October. It will be available through retail channels come January.

Corporations (through SA) and Partners will be able to obtain it sooner.

I think their biggest issue is 3rd party driver support.. it is really terrible right now and its hard to get a clear view on Vista RTM when the drivers are poorly set up... Your opinion?

I've actually found that the driver support is pretty good on mainstream stuff. The hardware that doesn't work 100% is the cutting-edge graphics and sound cards. Those drivers still need a LOT of work.

Lots of drivers and programs still need to developed to run software and there are a ton out there. RC1 is stable enough and can be used as a primarily OS now but you'll be limited. The list of imcompatable software is long http://www.iexbeta.com/wiki/index.php/Windows_Vista_Software_Compatibility_List
I'm still looking for established DVD/CD burning software thats compatable. So will the RTM encourage Nero to develope components more quickly to run on Vista. Maybe. And allot of software company developers won't even try to develope anything until RTM is out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back