is this possible?

mooo

thecyberninja
My cable modem is acting funny. When i hook up without the router i am fine. But once i hook the router up I get disconnected a lot. Kind of like i am getting packeted. Is it possible to have the modem go directly to me and use ICS to the wireless router?

yea you could do that you just have to tell to share the connection and the use that conneciton as a gateway for other computer

would the wireless still work? and do you have a guide somewhere? I can't search the internet because i get dropped ever 1-2minutes :(
i just leave this up and refresh

Why don't you just plug an ethernet cable from one of the router ports lan to your machine and let the rest pick up the wireless signal?

one guide, fetching more.

wireless setup
http://www.wireless-network-tutorial.com/download.htm

ICS setup
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/ics.mspx

For now just plug the cable from the modem into your lan port on the main PC. Then you will need a second network card in the main PC to connect to the router.

You should not be getting those drop outs so there may be a problem with interference from a neighboring wirless setup, cell phones, wireless, home phones (or in the case of a buddy his washing machine...). There are trouble shooting guides in the first link and if signal strength is an issue ggogle for windsurfer antenna (do it yourself project double signal strength).

i am using it directly, but my brother uses the wireless. He is the only reason i got the router :(. It was the whole modem being reset for about 1 week and having to do the reboot cycle, now its just the internet dropping.

I think i might of fixed it another way. The router had a setting to clone my PC's mac address. So i did that and it has had no problems since (5minutes), now its just a new IP i gotta learn.

What brand router was it so I don't get one. Mine has been problem free.

sometimes a firmware update is all you need.
my dlink 624 used to be a nightmare...but firmware has helped!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back