Is this laptop a good buy?

tom9042

OSNN Senior Addict
My son works at a university and has a chance to buy an IBM Thinkpad R52 for $999.00. I never had a laptop but worry about the integrated graphic on this machine. I'm not sure if he has the option to add memory or other options. How does this machine look to all you bright young men and women?

Intel 370 processor 1.5GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 512MB
RAM, 40GB Hard Disk, DVD±R Multiburner,
14.1”XGA TFT (1024x768) Intel GMA 900
integrated graphics, Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11a/b/g
Wireless, 2 USB 2.0 ports, 1394 Firewire, 6.1lb
weight, 3.6 hr battery, 3 year Warranty with
ThinkPad Protection accidental damage coverage,
XP Professional.

Bah, with all the sales and deals that are going on all the time, I don't really see that as a great deal. Maybe close to a good deal, but not a great one.

I'd pass, that's my .02

ibm make great notebooks and use great hardware.. I would pick them over most but you can probably find a better deal for notebooks a little more powerful so shop around..
Depending on what you are going to use it for, i would go with something more basic and generic if its just going to be like office and general internet use..
I like the 3yr warranty though..

Friend has an older IBM laptop and I found it to be pretty tuff. Myself, I'd go for that notebook (just wish it would have a larger hdd)

I agree its nothing special, barely a good deal. But it is an IBM and they are really good quality. My family has an T-50, and it's really well built.

If you are going to be traveling alot and want something durable and well supported, go with the R52. I have one and it's pretty good. I'd upgrade to 1 gb of ram though.

IBM is no longer in the business, you are buying a Lenovo (Chinese).

This may still be a pure blood IBM designed machine but keep in mind IBM is not waranteeing it, Lenovo is.

Features for the price were not particularly impressive.

Considering it's not really IBM anymore there is no reason to pay a premium for the name (if there ever was).

PS "Young"? A lot of old farts here too!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back