Is this even possible?

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
I work at a school that provides tablet pc's to all the students. The tablets are locked down stupid tight. Of course there are work arounds and I caught wind of one that has me interested. A student claims that they can boot into Linux (LiveCD I'm guessing) and use it to install unauthorized programs into Windows. I don't think this is possible, hence the title of this post. But since I know very little of Linux I figured I'd ask. Any ideas?

Sure it is possible, once the Windows hard drive is mounted I can read/write to it all I want, including install Windows applications, hell I can emulate windows using Wine to run the installer to install it to the real Windows installation, then reboot and have it available.

This may not work if the program needs to write stuff to the registry,but generally that can be worked around.

Interesting. I'll have to be on the look out.

Reps!

Personally I disagree with locking down computers. You'd be better re-imaging them overnight.

Personally I disagree with locking down computers. You'd be better re-imaging them overnight.

That's not possible when the tablets have been given to each of the students, which is what it sounds like.

Ways to get around stupid restrictions has always been a fun passed time for students in general.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back