Is this directory safe to delete?

S

Sammy20

\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\

It seems to be a back up directory for the SP1 Install.

Do I still need it?

I wouldn't. It's SP1's equivalent of dllcache. It's a backup in case files become damaged or deleted.

However, you can copy it to a cd (or slipstream) and then it's safe to delete.

i deleted it. and also "driver cache"

and my system works fine

Your system will work fine until it looks there for the backup file to restore it.

do you have a very small harddrive?...are you short space?...if not, you will gain nothing by this deletion, and risk something serious

when i install something and windows need a file from these folders, it simply ask me for windows cd

i like to have my windows in its own partition alone, so it will be less fragmented and always fast

and as small i can make their size, better

But wouldn't that be restoring the old files & not the newer ones from windows update?

Ok, I deleted it. I have SFC fully disabled, so this directory is pretty much useless to me.

Thanks for the help anyway :)

Just wondering, if anyone has done a fresh install of XP SP1 intergrated, and can tell me if they have that directory their?

make sure to also delete the folder "winnt" or "windows" that will really save u some space

:rolleyes:

If you have a slipstreamed Windows XP SP1 CD, you can safely delete the folder.
When a protected file is damaged, Windows will ask you to insert the CD.

hey guys im gonna ask for advice, and no matter what you say, im gonna do whatever the hell i want anyway...

Brad

I was just making sure it wasn't an important directory. Which it wasn't, so I deleted it. Far out! Why do you have to be so rude? A you people that bored?

And YES, I am doing this to save SOME space. What's the big deal with that? Oh yes please windows eat up 500 M of my harddrive with useless backup data, thats on the CDROM, and is NEVER needed, and when used causes more hassle (ala uxtheme.dll)

Originally posted by Adam S
make sure to also delete the folder "winnt" or "windows" that will really save u some space
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by xxbigeyedfishxx
hey guys im gonna ask for advice, and no matter what you say, im gonna do whatever the hell i want anyway...

Brad

Cool it guys ...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back