Is this any good?

jonifen

pffff...
Just been looking around and saw this graphics card on ebuyer.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=46138

Is it any good? I was originally after the 9500pro, but when I got the money to order it, I couldnt get it anywhere - so I bought a new mobile phone instead :p
Now, the 9600pro is out but I dont hear so many good things about it as I did with the 9500pro... however, most people are able to use a ti4200 128mb for most things and get decent performance... and as I only really play Q3, UT, NFSHP2 and GTA3 - this would surely be a real improvement over my existing hercules 2mx?

Originally posted by mike09
try this... (if it is not to late) here
just ordered mine.

looks good... I'm really after something in the UK though tbh as thats where I am.

So fair enough, its not the ATi I was originally after... but is it near enough just as good? As I personally think it is (must be for so many people to have them - I see it often on many ppls signatures on here) and its a good price... I was really after some other opinions.

I shoulda added a poll :p

Originally posted by jonifen
looks good... I'm really after something in the UK though tbh as thats where I am.

So fair enough, its not the ATi I was originally after... but is it near enough just as good? As I personally think it is (must be for so many people to have them - I see it often on many ppls signatures on here) and its a good price... I was really after some other opinions.

I shoulda added a poll :p

do you really want peoples personal opinions or would you rather base your decisions on technical specs and a little benchmarking voodoo :D

/me whistles softly and utters : the 4200 is STILL a good card :

/me skips and prances out the door

Originally posted by Sazar
/me whistles softly and utters : the 4200 is STILL a good card :

/me skips and prances out the door
haha! ditto!

*skips and prances after sazar*

rofl, now I'm worried about you two...

ok, so where would I read about its technical specs as compared to other cards? A bit of benchmarking voodoo would be nice... but not too much :p

I've just had a look at a few reviews and its seemed to constantly get high scores (7/7, 5/5 etc) which is nice :p

Think I'll get myself one of them tbh... will post back when I've got it to give my own opinion :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=46138

just been reading through the reviews and not many good things have been said. One thing they nearly all say is the heatsink and fan is garbage - I have an exhaust fan somewhere and a 90mm on the side of my case. Would this cool the machine enough? I'm guessing a better heatsink & fan would be useful to prolong it's life and perhaps some ram heatsinks?

RAM heatsinks are pretty, but useless if ur VGA card has no cooling.
Save yer pennies and buy a half-decent VGA HS/F combo mate.
(Theres's plenty of 'em out there!)
Your VGA card will kick out some serious heat, so unless you O/C your RAM? I wouldn't bother WITH THE ram HEATSINKS

you should only invest in ramsinks if you overclock your memory and the ram chips themselves get hot to the touch. sometimes they're merely warm even when oc'd to their limit, in which case cooling them won't help at all.

Originally posted by Krux
*Shoots them both in the back for prancing like fairys* :D

nice shot :)

right... I'll change the hsf to a better one when I buy it. Any recommendations on a decent one to use? Is the Thermaltake Crystal Orb any good? (think its called that - small circular silver one).

Originally posted by Krux
*Shoots them both in the back for prancing like fairys* :D
ouch. that'll scar.

i've seen that first one before. but i don't know if it'd be compatible with a majority of video cards. you'd have to make sure yours doesn't have any capacitors in the way. also, what does it look like from the back? does it cool the rear memory too?

image.php

no ramsinks front or rear by default (although im sure it could be arranged somehow)

those two heatsinks you showed then Krux... they're erm... a bit big to say the least lol.

I'll whack the 90mm fan back on to create more noise and the exhaust under it when I get it, and I'll possibly get one of them after a week or so when I get more money together... bit costly living with a gf an 3 kids i tell ya

edit - I take it that the card would be ok with the 90mm and exhaust for a week or two??

I'm gonna finally order the card tomorrow...

but, I wanna ask one more question - which of these are best? both are same cards (perhaps only slightly diff) but are diff makes and slightly diff prices.

leadtek - http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43432

or

inno3d/tornado - http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=46138

I'm sure both are pretty much the same, but I gotta ask before I buy one or the other really to make sure

I'll check back here tomorrow morning/early afternoon (uk) to see any replies...

Thx in advance for any advice :)

the leadtek card:
winfast_a280_letdh_myvivo_2.jpg

you can see it has quite an extensive heatsink that cools the memory as well. the innovision card just has a standard gf4 heatsink on it. as far as i know, leadtek is a slighty better brand than innovision anyway. i would go for the leadtek.

just found out the leadtek card has built-in hardware monitoring capabilities, too.

Good choice on the GF4, jonifen! I think the Leadtek is better because it has more holes in the back and it's pretty shiny.

By the way, does it bother anyone else that video card companies name their products to mislead you? A GF4 Ti is way faster than an FX 5200, and a Radeon 8500 is faster than a 9000. They prey on those less computer savvy.

Go for it your going to be impressed with your Ti4200 128mb 8X AGP , I had a Geforce4 mx 420 and when I dropped the Ti in I was very impressed and on the right machine a Ti4200 can get into the 13k and even 14k on 3dmark2001se and trust me thats more than enough to play games , I gave up on benchmarking every time I find new drivers, I just play a few games and see that I am getting like 130 FPS in Nascar playing on line with 25 others on the track at the same time and smile knowing I only paid $120 U.S for this card and that was monthes ago. So go for it and enjoy the raw power and very decent performance of what I say is one of the best cards vs performance vs $ on the market :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back