Is this any good?

Originally posted by HandyBuddy
Good choice on the GF4, jonifen! I think the Leadtek is better because it has more holes in the back and it's pretty shiny.

By the way, does it bother anyone else that video card companies name their products to mislead you? A GF4 Ti is way faster than an FX 5200, and a Radeon 8500 is faster than a 9000. They prey on those less computer savvy.
well, the radeon naming scheme is sure confusing. but at least nvidia differentiates the gf4ti's from the fx's. they're different families with different architecture.

Originally posted by taurus
well, the radeon naming scheme is sure confusing. but at least nvidia differentiates the gf4ti's from the fx's. they're different families with different architecture.

And ATI differentiates between the 9x00 series and 8x00 series.
The GF FX 5900 and a 5200 are a universe apart as well.

I've found that it's best to leave fanboys to their feelings, no matter what product they march behind.

And ATI differentiates between the 9x00 series and 8x00 series.
The GF FX 5900 and a 5200 are a universe apart as well.

I've found that it's best to leave fanboys to their feelings, no matter what product they march behind.
sorry? referring to me as a fanboy?

anyways, the 9100 = 8500 + fullstream support.:rolleyes: same architecture

try and keep it clean guys :)

btw taurus and handybuddy...

ati

8500/9100 == 4x2 architecture... 9000/9200 == 4x1 setup...

(first number is pipelines... 2nd is texture unit)

r300 top of the line cards are 8x1 architecture

nvidia

gf4mx series == gf2 series basically

gf4 ti series is 4x2... gf FX series top of the line cards are 4x2...

you can see which company is making the changes quite clearly in terms of architecture :)

the marchitecture of the gf FX cards does allow them to work in a flexible manner... ie by acting much like an 8x1 card in most situations but in reality being a 4x2 setup :) and therefore being limited in other situations...

btw fullstream rocks :D

Cheers everyone - looks like I'm gonna get the Leadtek :)
Bit more expensive, but like Taurus said, the heatsink is better than the Inno3d's standard one - I bet it'll sound like a jet plane though lol - but I'd have a jet plane over the 2mx I've currently got :p

I'll post back my first impressions etc when I get it

My theory on Radeon naming...
I find the 8500 being pretty much renamed to the 9100 a bit confusing, but I'm sure they've added dx9 support or something to justify the 9xxx series naming? Although I could be totally wrong.

Perhaps they name them 8xxx for dx8 and 9xxx for dx9 if I am right?

Originally posted by jonifen
Perhaps they name them 8xxx for dx8 and 9xxx for dx9 if I am right?
that's what i used to think, too. but the 9000, 9100, and 9200 are all dx8.1. correct me if i'm wrong, anyone.

also, just because the leadtek has a bulky heatsink doesn't mean it will be noisy. actually the increased heatsink surface area probably allows for a quieter fan.

My apologies, Taurus. :eek: I didn't mean to suggest that you were an NVidia fanboy, just referring to the war in general.

that's what i used to think, too. but the 9000, 9100, and 9200 are all dx8.1. correct me if i'm wrong, anyone.

It would make sense if they had named them that way... but I see your point... especially if they are 8.1 - not the best naming techniques lol

also, just because the leadtek has a bulky heatsink doesn't mean it will be noisy. actually the increased heatsink surface area probably allows for a quieter fan.

cool, gonna go order the leadtek now :)

My apologies, Taurus. :eek: I didn't mean to suggest that you were an NVidia fanboy, just referring to the war in general.

LOLOL it would be such a nice world if all the ATI fanboys and Nvidiots could just play nice huh :p

I think the whole one is better than the other is just a riot.

ps: Taurus would be a Nvidiot no?? Says he has a Ti in his sig :p

Hehe...I've got a Radeon 9000 Pro, but only because I pulled a chip of my 9700. Honestly, I haven't missed it. I'll wait to re-upgrade until Half-Life 2 hits the streets, and then my computer becomes an Athlon XP 3000+ with a 9800 Pro! But I'm off topic here...

:D

Thats ok I think we helped the guy make a good choice and all we need is for jon to come back with a big ole smile and bloodshot @@'s when he has his brand new Ti4200 in place and has been up all night playing his favorite game at 4 times the speed he used to :p

\o/ ordered the leadtek about an hour ago - should be here tomorrow...

will finally be able to play gta3 in a higher res than 640x480 and all that warping might actually stop :p

s'all good, mr. buddy. ;)

Originally posted by Kermit
ps: Taurus would be a Nvidiot no?? Says he has a Ti in his sig :p
i guess you can say that. but i always considered fanboys (eg, nvidiots, fanATIcs) the type who says the other brand is junk and would never consider buying anything besides their brand of product. i'm not one of those. i've actually been excited lately, thinking about building an i865pe or even i875p system with a radeon 9800pro. of course, i have no reason to now, but maybe my next system (year from now) will be something like that.

Dude I never thought for a split second that were closed minded about any of it that why I knew you would see the humor in my saying that :cool:

Originally posted by Kermit
Dude I never thought for a split second that were closed minded about any of it that why I knew you would see the humor in my saying that :cool:
;)

I've always had Intel based machines since the AMD 486DX/4 100mhz and the IDT 225mhz I had - I got the p4 purely because I've found Intel cpu with Intel chipset has been extremely stable for me (except when combined with Win98/98SE - ME was a godsend for it imho, no bsod or anything).

I wouldnt put AMD out of the question for my next machine whenever I get it - but I'd have to have it somewhere cool... thats one of the reasons I never got AMD when I got the p4... because it would just heat up terribly where the PC is now. However, if and when I get air conditioning or a nice big window (that can be opened) in the pc room, then I'll consider AMD :p

edit: hmmm... they b0rked up dispatching orders yesterday so its not gonna be here til tomorrow :( they're gonna refund the next day delivery charge, but thats not the point...

/me sighs

woohoo, the card has arrived... cant wait to get home to install it and play games!!

I'll notice a big improvement by just uninstalling the 2mx and installing the ti4200 for now wont I? I realise formatting the pc will get the best performance, so I'll format it sometime soon (probably the weekend when I have more time).

Yes you will notice a huge difference right away, I always try it first then a week later or so , after playing with set's of drivers , I format and start clean.

Let us know how it all goes :)

\o/ 125fps steady on q3 straight out of the box - gta3 runs really well too at 800x600 (but ive not messed with it much yet)

I gotta admit, I'm really impressed with the performance of this card and the software (WinFox) is useful - tells me the temps of the card (prolly not 100% accurate but still useful til I put the 90mm back in the case).

Thanks everyone for helpin us decide on getting the leadtek - its not much louder than the little fan I had on the heatsink of the gf2mx so I'm impressed to say the least.

I'm using driver set 41.09 at the min (as thats what I had in the drivers folder on my hdd - I thought I had 44.03 but I didnt). I'm gonna try a few other sets before the weekend to see which is best. I know there is only me who can tell which driver works best for my machine, but what is the general opinion of the ti4200 users here as to which is the better driver set?

Originally posted by jonifen
\o/ 125fps steady on q3 straight out of the box - gta3 runs really well too at 800x600 (but ive not messed with it much yet)

I gotta admit, I'm really impressed with the performance of this card and the software (WinFox) is useful - tells me the temps of the card (prolly not 100% accurate but still useful til I put the 90mm back in the case).

Thanks everyone for helpin us decide on getting the leadtek - its not much louder than the little fan I had on the heatsink of the gf2mx so I'm impressed to say the least.

I'm using driver set 41.09 at the min (as thats what I had in the drivers folder on my hdd - I thought I had 44.03 but I didnt). I'm gonna try a few other sets before the weekend to see which is best. I know there is only me who can tell which driver works best for my machine, but what is the general opinion of the ti4200 users here as to which is the better driver set?

gta3 should play @ a higher resolution ... on my old 8500 retail card I had no problems @ 1280x1024 and was able to play most scenes @ 1600x1200... 800x600 is a little low... definitely push it higher jonifen :)

I know you can :D

congrats on smooth transition... keep us posted on your experience :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back