Is this acceptable for 2 Raptor 10,000RPM in RAID 0?

Brad

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
hdbenchresultswl2.jpg

Seems low, but then you never really hit the theoretical max.

why could that be? It is a brand new copy of XP running with me not even touching the mouse during the benchmark...

Dunno m8.

Does the system feel faster at all?

what sata controller is it?

an onboard p.o.s ?

its nvidia onboard :) the "NVIDIA STRIPE" should give it away, but its better than most onboard controllers. You'll need a full hardware raid soutuon to see the best out of 10k rpm drives though.

how much is a RAID controller?

Try another benchmark on it. Like sisoft sandra HD test. Se how it stacks up to other configurations.

You did check to make sure that it is using the fastest transfer option under device manager right? Default install could have left it throttled down.

how much is a RAID controller?

search for 3ware 8000 or 9000 series cards.

THeres another company begins with A (but not adaptec - adaptec's sata raid cards are the same silicon image chips that power the crapy onboard raid) but they are like £800 starting price :)

you score the same as my 2 maxline drives, so the motherboard raid must be causing the bottleneck.

search for 3ware 8000 or 9000 series cards.

THeres another company begins with A (but not adaptec - adaptec's sata raid cards are the same silicon image chips that power the crapy onboard raid) but they are like £800 starting price :)

Adaptec's cards are awesome. I use one in my server and I am getting way higher speeds on my 7200 RAID 0 drives. Getting well over 300 MB/sec using SATA 3.0Gb/sec drives.

Adaptec's cards are awesome. I use one in my server and I am getting way higher speeds on my 7200 RAID 0 drives. Getting well over 300 MB/sec using SATA 3.0Gb/sec drives.

Adaptec's cards are identical to the onboard raid of most athlon based motherboards for SATA. If you can show me an adaptec raid card where they use their own asics and do a full hardware implementation rather then the silicon image software based "fake raid" let me know so that we can buy them in at coreix.

Adaptec's cards are identical to the onboard raid of most athlon based motherboards for SATA. If you can show me an adaptec raid card where they use their own asics and do a full hardware implementation rather then the silicon image software based "fake raid" let me know so that we can buy them in at coreix.

I would not know what chip is on them, all I know is that the speeds I am getting are quite a bit faster than what you make it seem like they would be.

Oh, I wasn't saying they were slow, just that they aren't true hardware raid from the models I've seen available in the uk.

And what I know of ASICs is that they are pretty expensive, right?

ASIC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application-specific_integrated_circuit

Bascially its chips with a specific purpose. Prices vary depening on how complex they are and how many you buy from a foundry :)

What I was looking for were Adaptec SATA RAID controllers using their own custom fully hardware RAID processors rather than using the same solution as motherboard makers and doing the raid all in software with a bios extension.

That's very close to the results that I just got.

I didn't write down everything - just the burst speed.

Short test.
2 X 74 = 222.9
2 X 150 = 239.2

Long test.
2 X 74 = 220.8
2 X 150 = 237.3

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back