Is this a virus?

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political Access
I've recently been plagued by the following:

helpctr.exe keeps openig up massively - hundreds of exectuions filling up memory. Whenever I try and run things like ad-aware all their help file open up in mulitple windows too :(

I manage to run adaware and get some pretty lame tracking cookies like:

servedby.advertising etc... I've checked them all out and they just seem to be standard trackers...

Hijackthis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
Scan saved at 11:32:03, on 07/04/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) <----- I'm using Firefox.

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\NISUM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Mouse\point32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\ASUS\Probe\AsusProb.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\eEBSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Belkin\Nostromo\nost_LM.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\ccPxySvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\AVGCC32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\taskmgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 6\Ad-aware.exe
G:\Downloaded Programmes\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by The Black Lodge
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [nwiz] nwiz.exe /install
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\System32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ASUS Probe] C:\Program Files\ASUS\Probe\AsusProb.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Loadout Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Belkin\Nostromo\nost_LM.exe
O16 - DPF: {3E68E405-C6DE-49FF-83AE-41EE9F4C36CE} (Office Update Installation Engine) - http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/content/opuc.cab
O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?38078.350474537
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

The fact that the trackers keep re-appearing after the helpctr.exe stuff leads me to beleive that there is some hidden process that re-installs this stuff.

helpctr - helpctr.exe - Process Information

Process File: helpctr or helpctr.exe
Process Name: Microsoft Help and Support Center
Description: Part of the Windows XP Help system. This application is started when you click Start > Help and Support from the Windows taskbar.
Company: Microsoft Corp.
System Process: Yes
Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No

if windows is set to error reporting, will it start helpcenter in the background to prepare the report ?

How do I check whether error reporting is on?

At one point there was 171 helpctr.exe's open with more opening all the time :eek:

Only done it once today -_-

system properties, advanced, & the error reporting tab, it's in there.

you could also probbaly disable it from the run command using services.msc * stop and disable help and support.

OK got that. But anyway is this typical of a virus or is it summut else? That triggers help center to flood my system?

the only refrence i could find was some half baked comment about help center popping up and deleting files off your pc, that was 2 years ago and fixed by xp's service pack 1 release. otherwise i found nothing on google related to your problem, could you try and create a new user profile and use that for a day to see if the problem returns, could just be a corrupt user account.

Will do. I searched a fair bit on google as well and came up similarly blank :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back