Is this a router problem?

Guybrush

Village Idiot
I have a Sony laptop running Vista Home Premium using a wireless internet connection via my Netgear router with no connection or disconnection issues.

Two days ago I received from an online company an Acer Aspire laptop which I had ordered, for my partner to use for her work. The problem is that I can connect to the internet wirelessly from my router but I will loose the signal after 5 minutes (even though my Sony Laptop has stayed connected) and it is necessary to restart the computer to establish an internet connection.

I have reset the laptop to factory settings and still have the problem. I have spoken to both Acer warrenty support and software support and they both say it is my router.

I may be pretty clueless about computers etc but I cannot see it being that problem because of no issues with my Sony laptop and a friends laptop.

Am I missing something or am I really that stupid!?

Gigabot

OSNN Senior Addict
Maybe your router issues an already used IP to your laptop. Try doing ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew in command prompt to renew your IP and once that's done then try using your Internet. To avoid having to do that all the time you can reserve a permanent IP to your laptop's MAC address.

Guybrush

Village Idiot
Maybe your router issues an already used IP to your laptop. Try doing ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew in command prompt to renew your IP and once that's done then try using your Internet. To avoid having to do that all the time you can reserve a permanent IP to your laptop's MAC address.
Many thanks for your prompt reply but I am not sure how to reserve a permanent IP to my laptop's MAC address.

Gigabot

OSNN Senior Addict

Guybrush

Village Idiot
Many thanks for all advice and ideas. I don't know what we did but we changed the power management and disabled numerous programs starting at boot up and all seems well.

At least I was right it wasn't the router!

Thanks again

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Perris Calderon wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Ep, glad to see you come back and tidy up...did want to ask a one day favor, I want to enhance my resume , was hoping you could make me administrator for a day, if so, take me right off since I won't be here to do anything, and don't know the slightest about the board, but it would be nice putting "served administrator osnn", if can do, THANKS

Been running around Quora lately, luv it there https://tinyurl.com/ycpxl
Electronic Punk wrote on Perris Calderon's profile.
All good still mate?
Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poseeut